Glen Cove, NY - January 29, 2016 - Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced that Nassau County will host President’s Week Crafts and Activities from Saturday, February 13th through Saturday, February 20th at Garvies Point Museum and Preserve. The event schedule is as follows:
Saturday, February 13: (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., ongoing) $5.00 per person. Make a beautiful Valentine for a loved one out of recycled paper.
North American Native American Games:
All ages are invited to come learn and play authentic Native American games of skill and chance. Each day will feature games from different regions of the U.S. Programs and crafts are included with museum admission, unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, February 16:
• Games of the Northeast (10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) & Plains (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
• Clay Bead Arrowhead Necklace Craft (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., ongoing)
• Film: Princess Scargo and the Birthday Pumpkin (30 min.)
Wednesday, February 17:
• Games of the Northwest (10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) & Southwest (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
• Talking Stick Craft (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., ongoing)
• Film: The Legend of the Boy and the Eagle (21 min.)
Thursday, February 18:
• Native American Pottery Making: Create your own clay pot inspired by primitive Native American technology. (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., every ½ hour). $5.00 per person.
• Film: Indian Pottery of San Ildefonso (27 min.)
Friday, February 19:
• Beaded Pouch Craft: (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., ongoing) $5.00 per person.
• Film: Plants and the Cherokee (30 min.)
Saturday, February 20:
• Bird Feeder Craft: Make your own bird feeder using recycled materials so you can enjoy observing our feathered friends all year long. (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., ongoing) $5.00 per person.
• Film: Animal Adventures: Puffin Adventures (30 min.)
Garvies Point Museum and adjoining 62-acre preserve are located at 50 Barry Drive in Glen Cove. Museum General Admission is $3.00 for adults and $2.00 for children 5-12 yrs. Crafts and programs appropriate for all ages. All crafts require $5.00 material fee except on Tuesday, February 16th and Wednesday, February 17th. Proceeds go to the Friends of Garvies Point Museum and Preserve. For more information about Garvies Point Museum and Preserve, please call: (516) 571-8010/11 or visit the website at: www.garviespointmuseum.com.
For more information about Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museum, please call: (516) 572-0200, or visit the website.