Rummage sales are similar to garage sales, but the proceeds are donated to community groups such as churches, temples, or schools. Fall is a great time to attend a rummage sale, since you can get great deals on a new wardrobe of new and gently used clothes for the cooler weather. Besides stocking up on sweaters, hoodies, scarves, and gloves, now would also be good to buy holiday decorations on the cheap so that you stay within your budget during the holiday season.
Though not all religious institutions have rummage sales, many also operate thrift shops on a daily or near-daily basis that also support community programs. Rummage sales and thrift shops alike can also be of interest to antique lovers, as many antiques change hands and are then sold at churches or other community groups. In addition to the upcoming rummage sales, be sure to read the do’s and don’ts for what to buy at rummage or garade sales so that you can get deals that will be worthwhile.
Upcoming Rummage Sales:
Church Bazaar at Temple Isaiah
1 Chelsea Place, Great Neck, NY 11021
Sunday, October 25th and Monday, October 26th, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Check out new and gently used scarves, clothes, shoes, jewelry, collectables, China, glassware, crystal, art, toys, books, games, and much more!
Fall Rummage Sale at Huntington Jewish Center
510 Park Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743
Sunday, November 1st and Monday, November 2nd, 9:30 AM – 2:00 PM
Search through gently used and new clothing for men women, children and infants, as well as baby items, toys, books, shoes and assorted household items, and many more useful surprises! Come early for best selection.
Community Rummage Sale at Dix Hills Jewish Center
555 Vanderbilt Parkway, Dix Hills, NY 11746
Tuesday, November 17th, 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Wednesday, November 18th, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
The community is welcome to find great clothing for adults, teens, kids, and infants, as well as housewares, small toys, and books.
Rummage Sale at Montauk Community Church
850 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954
Saturday, November 28th, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Support the Women’s Guild by shopping through numerous clothing and gift items.
What to Buy at Rummage Sales:
- Books, Movies, and Records: Though they may not hold much value, these items often hold personal value and can be bought at a low price and enjoyed for years to come.
- Home Décor: Seasonal holiday decorations can typically found in abundance at rummage sales, and are also quite cheap.
- Sports and Exercise Equipment: People often buy sports or exercise equipment and then barely use it, so you can find lots of equipment in great condition at these events. On the other hand, if you are trying your hand at an exercise regimen but don’t know if you will stick with it, buying discounted equipment is also a low-risk investment.
- Kids Clothing: Kids go through clothing quickly, so buying gently used kid’s clothes is always a good investment as opposed to buying new clothes that will only last a short period of time.
What Not to Buy at Rummage Sales:
- Bedding: It is hard to know how clean second hand bedding is, and it may come with mystery stains, which are best left alone.
- Upholstery furniture: Upholstery furniture often holds stains and smells of its previous home, including smoke or perfume, which may be a nuisance for the second owner.
Cribs: Cribs change often to be more and more safe, and buying a used crib doesn’t guarantee the safety that you could get with a newer crib.