Long Island offers many great museums in our area. Whether it pertains to history, science, or art, the experience of going to a museum is enjoyable for the young and old.
An additional benefit of visiting museums is that they usually have events going on seasonally. Museums do not have the same exhibits every time you go. If so, why would we want to go to them over and over again. Museums really think of the visitor and design unique programs depending on the time of year.
Various museums on the island have many great events going on this week. Be sure to check them out before they leave their respected museums!
Long Island Children's Museum - Garden City
- Secrets of the Circle - Guests can enjoy the math and beauty of shapes in this exhibit at the LICM.
Cradle of Aviation Museum - Garden City
- Martian Mania Week - Learn all about Mars and the Mars Rovers this week! Visitors can create Martian meteorites while learning about the Red Planet.
Northport Historical Society - Northport
- Window Shopping Through Time - The historical society has recreated storefronts from Main Street from 100 to 20 years ago. On Wednesday, there is a tour offered along with this event that target's a child's perspective.
Science Museum of Long Island - Plandome
- Spin, Pop, Fizz-ic Holiday Workshop - From tops to plane, learn about physics of flight and balance.
- Paws and Claws Holiday Workshop - Learn about the different species of animal life.
- Fly Me to the Moon Holiday Workshop - From clouds to outer space, learn all about space travel.
- Edible Science Holiday Workshop - Science can be delicious. If you like to eat and want to learn the science behind many foods. This is the program for you.
- Maple Sugaring Holiday Workshop - Get a hands on experience tree tapping, collecting sap, and creating your own maple syrup!
Nassau County Museum of Art - Roslyn Harbor
- Peter Max: Highlights from a Career - This exhibit features films that showcases a life time of artistic work.
Long Island Maritime Museum - West Sayville
- Sailors' Valentine - This event focuses on the mementos that sailors sent to their loved ones while they were away at sea.
- Unleash You Inner Pirate - Learn all about why a man became a pirate at this event.
- I Spy...- At this event, you will learn about the spying that took place during the American Revolution and how messages were passed by spices and secret keepers.
- Whale of a Good Time - Learn all about whales in the northeast and their importance to Long Island.
- Way Back When - This event focuses on local history. So, some learn about Long Island!
The Heckscher Museum of Art - Huntington
- Rabble-Rousers: Art, Dissent, and Social Commentary - Look at art from the 19th-Century that focuses on social and political change.
- Off the Wall: Sculptures from the Permanent Collection - Celebrate the human figure with beautiful sculptures from the museum's permanent collection.
- Picture Perfect: Selections from the Permanent Collection - Varying mediums of art selected from the museum's permanent collection.
So, check out a museum this week! Be sure to check for availability and cost of programs.
Are you planning to visit a museum this break? Where do you plan on going? Tell us in the comments below!