Though we’re only two days into 2012 it’s smart to get started on keeping your New Year’s resolutions. For roughly the entire month longisland.com will be helping you make progress and stay on track along the way. The first resolution we’ll be covering, one of the most popular, is saving money. This seems to be an area of difficulty for most and understandably so. It’s hard not to want the newest electronic toys that our friends have just purchased or to practice retail therapy but in the end it’s best to keep things in perspective and prioritize. What is it that you really want? A new car? A home to call your own? Are you drowning in debt? If so, then NOW is the time to start saving and here’s how.
Put your money into a savings account at any of the following banks and don’t touch it! Use direct deposit if that’s an available option so the cash never sees your hands and instead accrues interest over time.
1. Bethpage Federal Credit Union – (516) 349-6800 / website
899 S Oyster Bay Road, Bethpage
2. Roslyn Savings Bank – (516) 625-0000 / website
1400 Old Northern Boulevard, Roslyn
3. Citizens Bank – (516) 223-6322 / website
248 East Sunrise Highway, Freeport
4. TD Bank – (516) 796-4975 / website
2549 Hempstead Turnpike, East Meadow
5. Ridgewood Savings Bank – (516) 935-1497 / website
169 West Old Country Road, Hicksville
6. HSBC Bank – (800) 975-4722 / website
366 North Broadway, Jericho
7. Astoria Federal Savings – (631) 549-1321 / website
1229 East Jericho Turnpike, Huntington
8. Apple Bank For Savings – (631) 471-2800 / website
3075 Veterans Memorial Highway, Ronkonkoma
9. Ulster Savings Banks – (631) 369-2333 / website
633 East Main Street, Riverhead
10. Hudson City Savings Banks – (631) 765-4019 / website
53345 Route 25, Southold
In addition to creating a savings account for yourself you may want to employ money saving habits such as couponing. Check out the coupon section of longisand.com and longislandcoupon.com for coupons serving your local areas and favorite Long Island stores.