When local financiers, philanthropists and industrialists chipped in to buy 144 acres of prime land here, they desired to create a private golf course of quality and beauty. In 1910, Devereux Emmet was retained to create the 18-hole course, situating it gracefully among natural mounds and rapidly sloping valleys and designing cleverly within the ever-changing elevations. Today’s course is 6,412 yards long with a par value of 70, a rating of 71.5 and a slope of 129. The renovated clubhouse offers three different dining rooms and multiple entertainment options. There are also tennis courts, a driving range, Pro shop and an on-site teaching professional. The member-owned club has affiliated with a local winter association that runs a hockey and ice-skating complex.