The Riverhead local library is popular among children and adults.
The Town of Riverhead is located at the junction of the North Fork and South Fork of Long Island in northern Suffolk County. The town is named after the mouth of the Peconic River, which is right in the heart of town. The Town of Riverhead has nine hamlets, and is home to the County's offices.
The Town of Riverhead was established in 1792 immediately following the American Revolution as the new country sought to develop new jurisdictions. The land was divided from the extant Town of Southold, which had been purchased from a Lenape tribe in 1649. Another portion was purchased in 1742 from Colonel William Smith, and was subsequently divided among settles. Riverhead was split off from the Town of Southold because inhabitants complained that the length of the town made it inconvenient for residents to attend meetings and conduct necessary town business. Originally designated River Head, the name was later combined and names the county seat. By the 20th Century, the town had a population of 2,500 residents.
The 2010 census indicates the population has grown to 27,172 residents. The median income for a household in the town was $52,195, as recorded in the 2000 census. Riverhead is home to a handful of major Long Island attractions, including Splish Splash water park, the Tanger Outlet Mall, Riverhead Raceway, Long Island Aquarium and Exhibit Center and a branch of Long Island University as well as numerous local vineyards.
Hamlets in the Town of Riverhead