Uniondale, NY - May 26, 2015 - PSEG Long Island reminds customers that higher temperatures can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. While PSEG Long Island continues to have enough electric capacity to meet customer demand during the hot summer months and there are no capacity concerns, the following tips will help customers limit the impact of hot weather and better manage their usage:
- Keep your house warmer than normal when you are away, and lower the thermostat setting to 78° F only when you are at home and need cooling.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Use fans to circulate cool air.
- Set refrigerators and freezers to the most efficient temperatures. Recommended temperatures are 35-38° F for the fresh food compartment, and 0° F for freezers.
- Run such appliances as clothes washers and dishwashers in the morning or late evening to avoid the peak demand hours of 2:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows. Eliminate air leaks around window air conditioners with foam insulation or weather-stripping.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Turn off power sources. TVs, computers and other electronic devices draw power when they are in standby mode or turned off but still plugged in. Plug electronics into power strips and turn off the power switch when the items are not in use.
- Use timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star® appliances.
- Install whole-house fans to bring in cooler night-time air that can pre-cool a house and reduce energy use in the daytime.
In addition, PSEG Long Island energy efficiency programs provide residential and commercial customers with the tools needed to incorporate energy efficient practices and technologies to help lower energy usage. As a 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year, PSEG Long Island has been recognized for its commitment and dedication to energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program.
PSEG Long Island offers FREE home energy assessments to recommend improvements to make homes or businesses more energy efficient. By making energy efficiency upgrades you can save 20 percent of your heating, cooling and water heating costs.
Customers may also take advantage of the different rebates available on ENERGY STAR and high-efficiency products to reduce monthly costs. ENERGY STAR® certified products use 10–50 percent less energy.
For more information on PSEG Long Island energy saving programs and tips, click here.