Christmas is a mere two days away. Many gather round their tree and their tables to celebrate the holidays with friends and family and whether or not that’s your ideal way of spending the weekend there is a way to wind down, and survive the madness of the holiday – make yourself a delicious cocktail. Try out the following recipes for holiday appropriately festive beverages.
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar and whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
3. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil.
4. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
5. Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
4 ounces brut champagne
1/2 ounce of Cointreau or Triple Sec
1 ½ tablespoons cranberry juice
Mix champagne, Coinreau or Triple Sec, and cranberry juice in a flute champagne glass. Add a single cranberry in the glass for a little extra flair and serve.
Gingerbread Apple Cocktail
2 ounces Domaine de Canton
1 ounce vanilla vodka
2.5 ounce apple cider
Crushed graham crackers
A few drops of lemon juice
Using chilled martini glasses, line rim of glass by dipping it into a small dish of agave syrup. Next dip it in a dish of crushed spiced graham crackers crumbs.Place all the ingredients except for the orange zest in a shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into martini glasses, grate fresh orange zest onto drink and serve immediately.
Take a trip to your local liquor store and stock up on supplies.
1. Hampton Bays Wines and Spirits (631) 728-8595 / hamptonbayswine.com
46 East Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays, NY, 11946
2. Towne Cellars Wines and Liquors (631) 874-0451 / townecellars.com
460 Country Road 111, Manorville, NY, 11949
3. Holbrook Liquors (631) 563-3515 / holbrookliquors.com
125 Beacon Drive, Holbrook, NY, 11741
4. Lake Liquors (631) 585-6100 / lakeliquor.com
299 Hawkins Avenue #2, Ronkonkoma, NY, 11779
5. Port to Port Wines and Spirits (631) 754-8282 / porttoportwines.com
365 Fort Salonga Road, Northport, NY, 11768
6. Bottles & Cases (631) 423-9463 / bottlesandcases.com
99 East Main Street, Huntington, NY, 11743
7. Crazy Billy’s Deer Park Liquor (631) 667-8070 / crazybillys.net
1887 Deer Park Avenue, Deer Park, NY, 11729
8. One-Stop Liquors (516) 827-3100 / onestopliquors.org
453 Central Avenue, Bethpage, NY, 11714
9. Westbury Liquors (516) 831-8602 / westburyliquors.com
1250 Old Country Road, Westbury, NY, 11590
10. K and W Liquors (516) 326-7721 / kandwliquors.com
163 New Hyde Park Road, Franklin Square, NY, 11010