The East Hampton Historical Society sent us these great old pictures in and around Montauk from back in the day. A few fun facts:
- In 1725, Dick Syme was elected Common Whipper for East Hampton, and was paid 3 shillings for each person whipped
- East Hampton’s Main Street was used for annual cattle and sheep drives to Montauk
- Aaron Burr, who shot killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel, defended a Connecticut peddler in a court case again East Hampton residents in the late 1700s.
All photos provided by the East Hampton Historical Society. The East Hampton Historical Society serves the residents of and visitors to East Hampton by collecting, preserving, presenting, and interpreting the material, cultural, and economic heritage of the Town of East Hampton and its surroundings. For more information on East Hampton history check out their website.
July 4th parade, 1915. 1st prize for most antique float, at East Hampton's 4th of July parade, went to Ralph & Rosalie Dayton for their family's early 19th century carriage named "Jerusalem Dilly."
Circa 1895. The Gardiner Mill was built by Nathaniel Domney V, as an investment for the Gardiner Family in 1804. It ground both grains and corn. The mill still sits at its original local on James Lane in East Hampton Village.
July 28th 1934. A general view of the Ladies Village Improvement Society's Annual Fair at Herrick Park in East Hampton Village. The windmill was a diminutive model of the historic Hook Mill that still graces East Hampton's Main Street.
Circa 1950. Standing in front of the pilot house on the Menhaden fishing boat "Elias Wilcox" are Emmett Handy (Left), Capt. Leonard "Hootch" McLean (center) and an unidentified pilot. The site of this photo is likely Napeague.
Circa 1900. A view of East Hampton's Main Street looking north. This picture was taken before the fire of 1906 and shows the wide dirt road and hitching post to tether a carriage.
Circa 1905. Mr. Hooper's store sold souvenirs, home furnishings and antiques. This photograph captures the shopkeeper and his cat, relaxing under the wisteria covered veranda. It must have been a quiet day on East Hampton Village's normally busy Main Street.
Circa 1900. Strong Bros. Blacksmith Shop stood at the corner of Accabonac Highway and Pantigo Road in East Hampton Village. The company was able to transition into the age of automobiles with great success.
1948. Conrad and Shott, Carpenters & Builders, created the Home Sweet Home float for the 300th anniversary parade celebrating the founding of the Town of East Hampton in 1648.