The routes in Nassau and Suffolk are known. Even if you don't ride a bike, here's a chance to cheer the riders on. Next Friday, the 25th, it will be in western Suffolk and Nassau. The following day, Saturday the 26th, it will be eastern Suffolk. Regardless of which day and what location, here's your chance to let these wounded warriors hear your support. For those that can, come join me at the southern-end of Marjorie R. Post Community Park in Massapequa on Friday. We expect the riders to pass at 10:30 a.m.
What It Is About
The Wounded Warrior Project Soldier Ride is a rehabilitative cycling program for wounded warriors. For many of these combat-wounded veterans, Soldier Ride provides the first steps in the return to an active lifestyle. Many of these men and women have been physically active throughout their lives. Soldier Ride offers these brave individuals the chance to get on a bike and prove to themselves, "I can still do this." Soldier Ride is not about politics; it's not about the war. It's simply about the soldiers.
Announcing the 2008-2009 Soldier Ride National Tour
1. White House to Lighthouse Challenge: Washington, D.C. - Baltimore, MD - Annapolis, MD, April 23-27, 2008
2. Empire State Challenge: New York, NY - Long Island, NY, July 23-27, 2008
3. High Desert Challenge: Phoenix, AZ - Las Vegas, NV, Sept. 22-26, 2008
4. Carolinas Challenge: Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg, NC - Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune, NC - Wilmington, NC, Oct. 22-26, 2008
5. Honky Tonk Challenge: Little Rock, AR - Memphis, TN - Nashville, TN, Nov. 12-16, 2008
6. Sunshine State Challenge: Miami - Key West, FL, Jan. 14-18, 2009
7. Golden State Challenge: Santa Clarita (Tour of California) - Los Angeles - San Diego, CA, February, 2009
8. Lone Star State Challenge: San Antonio - Corpus Christi, TX, Mar. 2009
Part Two: Three Days, July 24-26, New York City and Long Island
Pre ride event at Bar 9 in Manhattan, Wednesday, July 23 at 8 pm.
Day 1, Thursday, July 24: Riders will ride in Manhattan. Route will hit Central Park, Hudson River Park bike path, South Street Seaport, cross the Brooklyn Bridge and end in Bensonhurst. Later the soldiers will be guests of honor at a fundraiser dinner at the Airpower Museum in Farmingdale.
Day 2, Friday, July 25: Ride starts at the Babylon Town hall and heads from Jones Beach to Cedar Beach along Ocean Parkway. Riding is by invitation only but come out and cheer on the riders. Event route (
) That night the riders will be treated to a dinner in Ocean Beach on Fire Island.
Day 3, Saturday, July 26: Riders will be the guests of honor at the Inaugural Soldier Ride Empire State Challenge Metric Century Bike Ride in East Hampton. For more information and to register please see (
--- Regards, Walt Schmidt