Whether you are a fund raiser, marketing pro at large corporation or a salesperson trying to get in touch with a new business lead, you probably spend much of your time in voice mail limbo!
Here are some tips and strategies to try to get through to the people you want to reach more quickly:
* Don't call on Mondays or Fridays. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday generally work best.
* Call at the beginning of the day, when people are most likely at their desks.
* Every time you call, write it down. Also, note the time of the call.
* If voice mail picks up right away, try again in 10 minutes. The person may be on the phone.
* On voice mail, state your point clearly and say your name and number twice.
* Remember the secretary or assistant should be "smoozed." He/She can become an important advocate for you and can help you get to the right person.
(c) Hilary JM Topper, March 2004