If you’re a big football fan living on Long Island then you know that February 1st is Super Bowl Sunday. Fans all over the Island will be ready to cheer on their favorite team as they fight for the honor and title of being Super Bowl XLIX Champs. Now, if you’re someone who doesn’t follow spots, or at least football, then Super Bowl Sunday doesn’t necessarily hold a lot of appeal for you. Luckily living on Long Island there are always tons of fun, entertaining things to do – including things that have absolutely nothing to do with Super Bowl Sunday!
Check out these exciting events and activity suggestions for different ways to spend February 1st!
- Spend the day exploring the East End of Long Island! There are plenty of independent restaurants, wineries, boutiques, museums and other stops along the way to keep you occupied all day!
- Head down to the Port Jefferson Village Center for the Port Jefferson Winter’s Farmers Market to browse the fresh produce and other local goodies! The market will be open 10:30 AM – 2 PM. The Jack Abrams School in Huntington Station is also holding a Winter Farmer’s Market on Super Bowl Sunday from 9 AM – 1 PM.
- Why watch a game on TV when you can play one! Visit a Long Island bowling alley on February 1st and enjoy a few games of bowling with the family! You shouldn’t have a problem getting a lane!
- If you enjoy Art, or are a big crafter yourself, stop by Elmont Memorial Library to view their Art Exhibit called, “Sew Inspired” focused on woven art and quilting.
- Sure, technically last month was National Hobby Month, but if you didn’t have a chance to start up any new hobbies, or hone current ones, then, now’s the time to do so!
- Bundle up and spend some time outside viewing Long Island wildlife during a Seal Walk at Jones Beach! The walk takes place from 1:30 PM – 3 PM and costs $4, the walk is free for children under age 3 though.
- Go through some of your old books and see which ones you’d be willing to part with. Then head to South Nassau Unitarian Universalist Congregation for their “Put your Heart in Books” book drive and donate them to the cause!
- Take the kids out for a day of fun and learning at a kid-friendly museum on Long Island! You’ll all have a blast learning something new!
- Take part in, or be a spectator at, the Long Beach Polar Plunge! Take the plunge yourself or watch as others do so to help benefit The Make A Wish Foundation on Super Bowl Sunday.
If you’re a big music lover, especially of the Jazz and Blues Age, take a ride over to the Central Islip Public Library to listen to the Evolution of Rhythm and Blues, a musical performance by Ahmad Ali and his band.