The 7th annual Car Free Day on Long Island encourages people to leave their cars home and instead ride a train, bus or bicycle, carpool with others, take the subway, walk or telecommute.
Last year, Car Free Day was celebrated in almost 2,800 cities in 54 countries around the world. They say that the benefit to society is a day with less traffic congestion, a greener environment and reduced energy use.
https://www.facebook.com/CarFreeDayLI/You can share your car free day info and connect with others on their Facebook page.
The goal of Car Free Day is to take as many cars off the road as possible to show people what it would be like if everyone found an alternative way to get around. It encourages awareness of the negative impact of single occupancy vehicles on the environment.
You can participate in the event by pledging to be car free or car-lite on Friday, September 20, 2019. Fill out the pledge form on the Car Free Day LI website. When you pledge, you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win one of the many prizes. You must either live or work physically in either Nassau or Suffolk counties to win.
In a statement the organization said that “using cars less by taking advantage of alternative transportation modes will build awareness, reduce traffic, conserve energy, reduce harmful emissions, reduce parking problems and save money.”
There are a number of regional resources that can help you be Car Free or Car-Lite.
- 511NY Long Island has an extensive transit system. Plan car-free routes with the 511NY online trip planner.
- MTA for LIRR and NYC subway and bus maps, schedules and fare information.
- LIRR – Download the free LIRR Train Time app
- NICE for Nassau County bus maps, schedules and fare information.
- Suffolk County Transit for Suffolk County Transit bus maps, schedules and fare information.
- HART - For information on the Huntington Area Rapid Transit bus maps, fares and schedules.
- Long Beach Municipal Bus - for information on the Long Beach Municipal Bus schedule and fares.
- 511NYRideshare to find a carpool partner or form a vanpool.
- Google Maps - Use Google's trip planner to select a transit, biking or walking route.
- Nassau-Suffolk Bicycle Coalition - Find out more about getting around by bike
- Transit Solutions - Find out how employees can save as much as 40 percent on transit fares by paying for transit pre-tax through their employer.