Everyday is a struggle to find something new and exciting to keep kids occupied during this COVID-19 quarantine. Luckily, zoos and aquariums all over the country are providing animal exhibit livestreams, online events, Q&As with zoo and aquarium staff, and many more animal-related resources and fun for you to access for free on their websites.
Access ten live cams displaying different Monterey Bay exhibits including sea otters, jellyfish, the open ocean, and more. Streaming from 10am-10pm ET.
Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, tune into Virtual Zookeeper Talks on Facebook that highlight species at the Charles Paddock Zoo.
Live stream the Coral Cam, the Long Island Aquarium's 15-year-old reef exhibit.
The Bronx Zoo, New York Aquarium, Central Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, and Prospect Park Zoo will be sharing animal content like videos, virtual learning, and Instagram stories visiting animals to bring the zoo to you. Visit this page to stay updated.
The Georgia Aquarium offers nine live, underwater live streams, including the Ocean Voyager cam where you'll get to see the magestic Whale Shark in action.
- 8am: Diet of the Day (Facebook)
- 10am: Awesome Animal Ambassadors - Daily encounters with a VLM ambassador animal presented by expert staff (Facebook)
- 11am and 2:30pm: VLM Live Facebook- Watch exhibits live and have your questions answered by keepers/ aquarists
- 12pm: Nature at Noon- Learn about something you can find in your backyard (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
2pm: Social Picks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Youtube. Platform subject to change daily)
- Mondays: Bo Knows Mammals
- Tuesdays: Twitter Chat
- Wednesdays: Weird & Wild
- Thursdays: Outdoor Adventure
- Friday: Science Friday
- Saturday: Living Sustainably
- Sunday: Starry Stories
- VLM Mysteries: Identify the photo on Instagram
- 6pm: Virginia Skies- Discover the night sky and learn tips on what to look for (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- 8pm: Night Night Nature- Bedtime stories for ages 5 and younger
- Virtual Keeper Chats: Daily, 11am; Facebook Live
- Nature Connection: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter activities
- Virtual Field Trips: Interactive, multimedia live exhibit footage or science demonstrations
SeaSpan: Weekdays, 10am; Facebook Live take you on a virtual tour of galleries, animal exhibits throughout the aquarium, storytimes, and more.
Virtual Aquarium Visit: Daily; Interpretive opportunity with an animal exhibit or animal ambassador. 10am STEM-based lesson, 1pm family nature challenge
Uti-kaZoo: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; Utica Zoo Kid's Academy: Learn about alligators, crocodiles, Waylon, and more via videos and activities
Edventures Facebook Live: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 10am; Educational, live presentation about animals and nature. Topic varies each day.
Digital Safari Live: Daily, 1pm; Facebook Live educational programming, virtual safaris, and behind-the-scenes animal caretaking
Virtual Voyage: Daily, 2pm; Behind the scenes animals and education on social media platforms
Live Q&A's: Daily, 3pm; Animal husbandry team will accept animal questions daily from 10am-3pm and then you can watch your answers via webcast watch party on Facebook at 3pm
- Meet the Neighbors: Daily, 12:15pm; Meet animals and staff
- Virtual Zoo Camp: Engaging activities for the whole family
Video Presentation: Daily, 11am; Facebook videos featuring videos with aquarists, animal feedings, and behind-the-scenes animal care
Zoo projects for kids and adults to do together
Bring the Zoo to You: Weekdays, daily 12pm ET; Facebook live. Educational insight from animal care specialists
Zoo to You daily videos and fun print-outs, games, quizzes, and more
- Facebook Live Educational Encounters: Tuesday-Thursday, 10:30am
- Facebook Live Keeper Check-in: Monday-Friday, 2:30pm
- Facebook Live: Daily; Animals and staff highlights, behind the scenes
- Video presentations: Facebook videos including interviews, animal feedings, and behind the scenes looks at animals
Go behind the scenes with animals and connect with animal care staff on Facebook Live. Access at-home activity ideas to coincide with the videos on the Oregon Zoo website.
Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
Explore various Ripley's exhibits including the Ray Bay, Reef Shark tank, and sea turtles on Facebook Live.
For updates on live streams and animal events, visit the Association of Zoos and Aquariums website.
Many thanks to NYMetroParents for sharing these resources.