I would like to touch base about something that is very close to my heart, DINING OUT!!!!
If there is a place with more choices of restaurants than Long Island, I don't know it. Dining out is one of my favorite sports, and I play to Win. How do you maintain sensible eating habits (notice I did not use the four letter D word) while still enjoying the evening? A few sensible choices that make the night satifying and still not a total pigfest.
1. If you are starving, I mean really belly groaning - hunger burp starving, start off with a large glass of water as soon as you sit down (This is actually a good habit to start regardless of hunger). Don't read the menu first, first drink the water. It will help take the edge off.
2. Always get a salad, instead of an appetizer. Try to refrain from the Blue Cheese dressing. ( I have only about a 50% success rate on this one) If you are married or paired you can pick on your partners appetizer, just don't inhale it.
3. The main course - Anything you want, that's why you went out to eat remember? As a side dish choose a veggie instead of fries, and try to leave something on the plate. It doesn't matter if its alot left over, just something, and each time you go out try to leave a little more than the last time.
5. The Bread - I LOVE bread!!! But I have learned to do without butter, a worthwhile endeavor. It is amazing how complex the taste of different breads can be, when you can really taste them.
6. Desert - Rather than ordering your own, share one between groups of 4. It satisfies the sweet tooth and doesn't over pig you.
More to come