On the third Sunday of June, families gather to celebrate their fathers and grandfathers. In 1910, the governor of Washington State proclaimed the nation’s first “Father’s Day.” However, it was not until 1972, 58 years after President Woodrow Wilson made Mother’s Day official, that the day became a nationwide holiday in the United States.
Father's Day gifts can really be fun. Maybe it's because it's summer -- a time when people when people are naturally giddy. Or maybe it's because the behavior of TV dads like Homer Simpson, Don Draper or Walter White has lowered the bar of acceptable dad behavior. Fact is, people buy gifts for their dad that they wouldn't buy anyone else, whether it's a beer opener t-shirt or a golf putter game that looks like the male posterior. I even heard a radio commercial that said, "Forget the tie, keep Dad dry!" It was for a solution to excessive underarm sweat.
As long as you are spending quality time with dear old dad, his day of appreciation is sure to be a success. Here are some fabulous Father's Day gift suggestions:
- Root, root, root for the home team! Take your old man out to the ball game. June is the perfect time of year to spend out in the sunshine at the baseball park. Buy him a bag of peanuts and let him yell all he wants.
- If Dad's a gadget-lover who carries around a tablet, smartphone and perhaps other tech toys, chances are he has complaints about battery life. Solving his battery woes is as easy as giving the gift of a portable battery.
- Dig out all the home movies and watch them with the family. Thank him for all those special childhood memories. After all, that's what Father's Day is all about.
- For dads who want to read, write, or play on the go a tablet is a must have item.
- Consider professional manscaping for Dad. Spas, manicures and pedicures aren’t just for women anymore. The modern guy knows there’s nothing wrong with looking good, so don’t be afraid to help him out.
- Throw your dad a barbecue! Family cookouts are a classic way to celebrate Father's Day. Throw some burgers on the grill, stock the fridge with his favorite drinks and let him kick back.
- For dads who love music and movies how about upgrading his home entertainment system? There are wireless speakers that provide great sound to hook up to the television or any other of Dad's favorite gadgets.
- Dad is the King of the grill at home, but does he have one for road trips, camping trips and tailgate parties?
- Warm up the walls of Dad's office with personalized wall art.
- On Wantful.com answer a few questions about the person you're shopping for and Wantful will present you with a selection of gifts. Pick a selection that you think your Dad would like, and Wantful puts them together as a customized gift catalog. Give it to Dad and he can choose from any of the products.
What will you give to your Dad this Father's Day? Let us know on LongIsland.com's Forum.