Packing Prep For Freshmen Leaving To Go Away To College
A helpful last minute off-to-college checklist to help freshmen get ready for their next big adventure.
Going away to college can be a very nerve-racking time, especially if you’re a freshman and this is your first college experience. There is so much to think about, so many people to spend time with before you depart, and so many things to pack!
The prospect of living away from home for the first time is exciting and stressful. Then despite all of that dizzying excitement freshman still need to make sure that they have everything they could possibly need with them while they are away at school. Going home on a whim won’t be an easy task and by packing up all of your necessities beforehand you’ll be prepared and feeling much more calm and comfortable in your new dorm.
Other than the usual going away to college necessities, like bed sheets, clothing, lap top, and toiletries here are a few things you might have overlooked while making your off-to-college checklist.
Last Minute Off-to-College Checklist
- Fan – Those dorm rooms can get awful stuffy, and not all dormitories are equipped with air conditioning, so a fan can be a life saver while you’re dorming. It will keep you cool and help to ventilate the air around the room.
- Alarm Clock – Although most teens use their cell phones as alarm clocks nowadays, there’s always that chance your phone will lose its charge during the night or get lost or broken while you’re away at school. Just in case, that’s why bringing along an alarm clock is a good back up plan. For those heavy sleepers out there, it’s a good idea to have a second alarm to wake up to in the morning.
- Sandals/Flip Flops – For guys and girls, sandals are necessary while living in a dorm. Many dorm bathrooms are shared by many people and it’s important to stay hygienic during your time there. Flip flops will keep the bottom of your feet covered while you use the communal showers and protect you from any bacteria and fungi.
- Headphones – Headphones are another college necessity. Headphones are very useful for watching things on your laptop, listening to music on the way to class, and for late night listening when your roommate is trying to get some shut eye.
- Shower Caddy – A shower caddy is handy to have in college, especially when you have to lug all of your shower supplies (shampoo, soap, razor, shaving gel, tooth brush, etc.) down the hall to the bathroom. The caddy creates one central place to keep all of your things and it is much easier to carry around with you.
- Desk Lamp – While sharing a room with someone else in college you’ll have to compromise on quite a few things, one of those being to turn the room light off. A desk lamp is the perfect solution for those late nights of homework and essay writing when your roommate is sleeping and you cannot turn on the main light.
What are you planning on bringing with you to college? Let us know in the comments!