Mastic, NY - December 4, 2013 - Over the last several months homeowners throughout Suffolk County have received notices from New York State informing them about the need to re-register for their Basic STAR Exemption. Legislator Kate Browning (WF-Shirley) is reminding eligible residents that the deadline to register and receive a Basic STAR exemption in 2014 is December 31, 2013.
New legislation requires all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR exemption to register with the Tax Department in order to receive STAR exemptions in 2014 and subsequent years. Homeowners will not have to register in order to receive their 2013 STAR exemptions. Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners' eligibility in future years.
You can register for the STAR exemption online at https://www8.tax.ny.gov/STRP/strpStart. You'll need to:
- Provide a STAR code (codes were mailed to all Basic STAR recipients; or you can use the STAR code lookup)
- Provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- Confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- Confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- Confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
You can register by calling (518) 457-2036
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
For telephone assistance for the hearing or speech impaired (by TDD):
- Call us at 518-485-5082; or
- Dial 711 to get the NYS Relay Service and provide the operator with the phone number 518-457-2036
Also, New York State is holding registration events to provide direct assistance for homeowners on Long Island. The office is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, December 2 through 6. Residents can go to the Perry B. Duryea State Office Building at 250 Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY 11788.
“This is a small inconvenience for homeowners, but it will allow New York State to effectively root out fraud in the STAR program,” stated Legislator Browning. “Please remember to register by December 31, 2013 so that you can continue receiving your exemption.”