Uniondale, NY - November 19th, 2013 - The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) is warning its customers of a new utility bill scam. Over the past several days hundreds of customers have reported receiving calls from someone instructing them to buy a Green Dot Money Pak in order to pay their utility bill and avoid termination of their service. LIPA does not accept payments through Green Dot Money Pak or pre-paid cards, and customers should not give any confidential information to any such callers.
In some cases the caller also tells the customer that they may have a faulty meter that is dangerous and in need of replacing for a substantial fee. Customers should be aware that the electric meter is the property of LIPA and is not customer-owned equipment.
LIPA does contact customers with past due balances by phone to offer payment options, but never demands direct payment over the telephone. LIPA currently does not accept credit or debit card payments. Customers who have received calls demanding immediate payment through a pre-paid card or who have billing questions should call the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-490-0025 or 631-755-6000.
LIPA Encourages Customers to Use The Following Tips from the Better Business Bureau to Avoid Falling for this Scam:
- Never provide your social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone requesting it over the phone or at your home unless you initiated the contact and feel confident with whom you are speaking.
- If you receive a call claiming to be your utility company and feel pressured for immediate payment or personal information, hang up the phone and call the customer service number on your utility bill.
- Never allow anyone into your home to check electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a utility problem.
- Always ask utility employees for proper identification.
- Always think safety first. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for information or in person to get into your home.