Check out these great old pictures of villages and towns across Long Island from back in the day. Recognize any of these areas?
Port Jefferson - Launch of the ocean-going tugboat Bastrop, Bayles Shipyard, Port Jefferson, May 31, 1919. The former shipyard property is now the site of Harborfront Park. Photo by Arthur S. Greene. Kenneth Brady Collection. Want more historical pictures from Port Jefferson? Click here to see our post: Old Time Photos of Port Jefferson.
Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson.
Freeport - Black and white photograph of the Milburn Pumping Station of the Brooklyn Water Works, on the Baldwin Freeport border. It was built in 1889 and the architect was Frank Freeman. The chimneys were taken down in June 1954. The remaining structure was demolished in 2010. Want more historical pictures from Freeport? Click here to see our post: Old Time Photos of Freeport.
Photo courtesy of the Freeport Historical Society.
Massapequa - Family owned and operated from 1868 to 1905. Well known for hunting and fishing -- Massapequa was a sportsmen's paradise. Many famous people including soon-to-be President Chester A. Afthur stayed here. The Hotel faced the railroad long before Sunrise Highway was even thought of. It was torn down to make way for the water conduit designed to take drinking water from Long Island to the City of Brooklyn. Today Sunrise Highway covers the site. Want more historical pictures from Massapequa ? Click here to see our post: Old Time Photos of Massapequa.
Massapequa Hotel. Ocean Avenue, Massapequa. 1890. Photo: Historical Society of the Massapequas.
Smithtown - The A.E. Hallock Blacksmith Shop occupied the northeast corner of Landing Avenue and Main Street until the huge three-story building burned to the ground in 1908. The only building to survive was the Hallock House, which in the years following WWII was moved up Landing Avenue and placed near the railroad tracks. Lynn Nichol’s Shell gas station stood on the former blacksmith shop site until it was replaced by a multiple tenant building “Kings Landing” (now housing an H&R Block, Richard Salon, Dance N’ Things, and Smithtown Chamber of Commerce). Want more historical pictures from Smithtown? Click here to see our post: Old Time Photos of Smithtown.
From The Collection of the Smithtown Historical Society.
Patchogue - The trolley heading south on N. Ocean Avenue about 1915. Want more historical pictures from Patchogue? Click here to see our post: Old Time Photos of Patchogue.
Photo: Patchogue Historical Society.