Suffolk DA: Medford Man Indicted for Allegedly Stabbing Ex-Girlfriend to Death

Wayne Chambers, 49, is charged with Murder in the Second Degree, a class A felony.

Print Email
Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy D. Sini has announced the indictment of a Medford man for allegedly stabbing his ex-girlfriend to death.
Wayne Chambers, 49, is charged with Murder in the Second Degree, a class A felony.
“This was a brutal, tragic murder that took the life of someone who had dedicated her life to caring for others,” District Attorney Sini said. “After allegedly stabbing the victim to death, the defendant took several steps to try to avoid being caught, including dumping the victim’s car, changing his phone number, and attempting to hide out at a motel. He was ultimately apprehended thanks to a multi-agency effort, and we will seek justice for the victim.”
At approximately 7:43 p.m. on July 22, Chambers drove to pick up Sandra McIntosh, 46, of Medford, from her job as a registered nurse at Stony Brook University Hospital. He was driving McIntosh’s white Lexus SUV.
At approximately 8 p.m., residents on Woodland Avenue in Holtsville heard McIntosh calling for help and allegedly saw Chambers physically assaulting her in the street next to her vehicle. Chambers then allegedly fled the scene.
A resident called 911 and McIntosh, who had been stabbed 25 times, was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Following the stabbing, Chambers allegedly drove to the Bronx, where he abandoned McIntosh’s vehicle, and later fled to Newburgh, N.Y. He also allegedly turned off his cell phone and obtained a new cell phone number to evade detection by law enforcement.
Chambers was located at a motel in Newburgh and arrested on July 30 by Suffolk County Police Homicide Squad detectives and members of the City of Newburgh Police Department, the New York State Police and the United States Marshals Service.
Chambers was arraigned on the indictment yesterday in front of Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro and was remanded without bail. He is being represented by Richard Stafford and is due back in court on Sept. 21.
If convicted, Chambers faces a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison.
This case is being prosecuted by Deputy Bureau Chief Raphael Pearl, of the Felony Offense Bureau, and Assistant District Attorney Eric Aboulafia, of the Felony Offense Bureau’s Violent Crime Unit.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.