LongIsland.com

History: Old Time Photos of Port Jefferson

Written by Lon Cohen  |  12. August 2019

Check out these great old pictures of Port Jefferson from back in the day. Recognize any of these areas? All photos courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson. There’s more where these came from. Go to the historical society’s website to find out more about Port Jefferson village history and view many more photos from their collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

Launch of the ocean-going tugboat Bastrop, Bayles Shipyard, Port Jefferson, May 31, 1919. The former shipyard property is now the site of Harborfront Park. Photo by Arthur S. Greene. Kenneth Brady Collection


Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

The second Bayles Chandlery, north side of East Broadway, Port Jefferson. The store provided supplies and provisions for ships. The wooden, Italianate structure was destroyed in a July 22, 1897 waterfront fire. Kenneth Brady Collection.


Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

The blacksmith was located on the north side of East Broadway, Port Jefferson. The advertisement is for D. M. Read of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The Mayflower Gift Shop later stood on this site. Photo (101) by Arthur S. Greene. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

E. H. Rogers was located on the east side of Main Street (Route 25A), immediately south of the LIRR tracks, in Port Jefferson Station. The store carried a line of feed, grain, hardware and farm machinery. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

C. P. and H. M. Randall, West Broadway, Port Jefferson, sold lumber and coal. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

On Thursday, September 14, 1944, the Great Atlantic Hurricane hit Port Jefferson as a Category 2 storm, leaving considerable destruction in its wake. This photo shows damage to buildings along East Broadway, looking east. Right: the Harbor View Hotel and the Errand Taxi Service. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

The F. F. Darling & Son Store, north side of East Broadway, Port Jefferson. The company offered an extensive line of dry goods, boots and shoes, groceries, hardware, paints and oils, electrical supplies, house furnishings, and farming implements. The building was destroyed by fire in October 1972. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

Dressed for winter, workers from the Improved Hand Laundry pose in front of a wagon parked on a snow-covered Main Street, Port Jefferson. Photo by Waters. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

E. H. Rogers was located on the east side of Main Street (Route 25A), immediately south of the LIRR tracks, in Port Jefferson Station. The store carried a line of feed, grain, hardware and farm machinery. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

The First National Bank, corner of Main and East Main streets, Port Jefferson, opened in 1900. The Port Jefferson Hotel is shown to the right of the bank. Postmark: 08/05/1911. Kenneth Brady Collection.

 

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Greater Port Jefferson

 

Elbert T. Osborne’s Grocery, west side of Main Street, Port Jefferson. Kenneth Brady Collection. 

 

Copyright © 1996-2019 LongIsland.com & Long Island Media, Inc. All rights reserved.