Nassau County, NY - July 20, 2016 - The following are tips for the public to follow in light of the recent incident regarding criminal impersonation of a police officer during a vehicle traffic stop conducted by an unmarked vehicle.
- Turn on your flashers to acknowledge you are being stopped.
- Drive to a well-lit area.
- Call 911 and ask them to verify that it is an official officer making the stop.
- Keep doors locked and ask for proper identification.
- Request a marked unit to respond to your location.
- Do not exit vehicle until verification that it is a valid vehicle stop.