Hauppauge, NY - May 27, 2015 - Suffolk County Police Fourth Precinct officers responded to an incident during which 17 workers were exposed to carbon monoxide at a business in Hauppauge this afternoon.
Fourth Precinct officers responded to Liqui-Mark, located at 30 Davids Drive, after a female employee complained of a headache and nausea. Hauppauge Central Islip Rescue responded and carbon monoxide detectors alerted responders to high levels of carbon monoxide. The Hauppauge Fire Department tested approximately 30 employees of which 17 tested positive for carbon monoxide exposure.
The woman who felt ill was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip with non-life threatening conditions. The other 16 victims felt no symptoms but were transported to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, and St. Catherine of Sienna Medical Center in Smithtown, for treatment.
The business is closed pending the repair of an air conditioning unit that is believed to be the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide. Additional detectors are also being installed.
The Smithtown Fire Marshal also responded and the investigation is continuing.