Smithtown, NY - May 23, 2015 - Suffolk County Police, assisted by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police, arrested five people and seized one vehicle during an overnight sobriety checkpoint in the Smithtown area.
Police officers from the Suffolk County Highway Patrol Bureau, assisted by police officers from the MTA, conducted a sobriety checkpoint on Route 25 in Smithtown. The operation was conducted for the prevention of injuries and fatalities associated with driving while ability impaired by alcohol and drugs, particularly during the Memorial Day holiday weekend. A total of 543 vehicles went through the checkpoint.
The following people were charged with Driving While Intoxicated:
- Raymond Alzheimer, 41, of 30 Glen Lane, Kings Park
- Nicole Wiggins, 26, of 27 Lindner Place, Smithtown
- Diderot Saintilus, 35, of 203 Crombie St., Huntington
- Karin McPoland, 60, of 20 Format Lane, Smithtown
- Eugene Sheynberg, 29, of 9 Linton Ave., Lindenhurst
The above individuals will be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on May 23.
A criminal charge is an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.