LongIsland.com

National Grid: Nemo Winter Storm Update

Written by Long Island News & PR  |  09. February 2013

As forecasters call for potentially heavy snow across New York City and Long Island today and into the weekend, National Grid field crews and support personnel are prepping in the event the weather causes damage to the region's natural gas network. We will be increasing overnight staffing in the areas expected to be affected, and will have additional field and support personnel ready to address any service issues that could arise from weather damage. 

We advise customers to be prepared as high winds, heavy snow and ice can pose a serious safety risk. With driving conditions expected to be potentially treacherous, we also urge customers to be particularly cautious as you pass by crews working on location - especially where visibility may be limited by blowing snow. 

The build up of ice and snow around or over gas meters and vents for natural gas appliances could pose a serious safety risk. Ice and snow falling from a roof can damage gas meters or service connections to customers' homes or businesses, resulting in a gas leak. Ice and snow blocking vents could cause carbon monoxide (CO) to back up into a building and result in carbon monoxide poisoning for those inside.

To avoid these dangers, National Grid advises natural gas customers to closely inspect areas around and over gas meters, service hook-ups and vents for ice and snow that could damage equipment or prevent CO from properly venting.

If you suspect a natural gas leak:

  • Get Out - All occupants should leave the house immediately. Open windows to ventilate. Do not use the telephone or light switches for any reason.
  • Call Us - After leaving the house and reaching a safe environment, call the National Grid 24-hour gas emergency number for Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island at 718-643-4050, on Long Island and the Rockaways call 1-800-490-0045.
  • Stay Out - Do not return to your home until National Grid tells you it is safe.
Carbon Monoxide
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. Depending upon the amount of carbon monoxide in the air and length of exposure, symptoms may include headaches, weakness, confusion, chest tightness, skin redness, dizziness, nausea, sleepiness, fluttering of the heart or loss of muscle control. If you suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home, go outside immediately and breathe deeply; then call 911. If symptoms are severe, get medical attention right away. 
National Grid

###

For more information on National Grid, visit the LongIsland.com Nat Grid Page!

Copyright © 1996-2021 LongIsland.com & Long Island Media, Inc. All rights reserved.