January 27, 2015 - Islip, NY - AS OF NOON ON JANUARY 26TH THE TOWN OF ISLIP HAS BEEN IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY.
- WE ARE URGING RESIDENTS TO STAY OFF ALL ROADWAYS - PLOWING OPERATIONS WILL BE MORE EFFICIENT WITHOUT MOTORISTS ON THE ROADS
- CARS CANNOT BE PARKED ON THE ROAD, AND MUST BE PARKED IN DRIVEWAYS OR ON THE LAWN. THIS IS ACCORDING TO TOWN CODE AND IS IN EFFECT FROM DEC. 15TH-MARCH 15TH, 3AM-6AM. CARS WILL BE TICKETED! HOWEVER, CARS ON LAWNS WILL NOT BE TICKETED DURING STATE OF EMERGENCY.
- OUR CALL CENTER WAS ACTIVATED ON JAN. 26TH, AT 3PM, AND REMAINS OPEN AND OPERATIONAL. RESIDENTS SHOULD CALL 631-595-3595 FOR ALL SNOW CONCERNS UNTIL OTHERWISE NOTED
UPDATE ON OUR OPERATIONS:
- Streets – Salted and Brined in advance of snow until yesterday morning, 1/26
- Number of trucks deployed: roughly 150 Town pieces of equipment and 250 private contractors.
- ALL TOWN ROADWAYS HAVE BEEN PLOWED AT LEAST ONCE and will be plowed again as the storm continues.
- Staff of mechanics on-hand, working around the clock to repair equipment
- We remain well-supplied with salt and sand
- Roads are plowed in the following order: Primary Roads (INCLUDING ALL MAIN ROADS AND ROADS THAT ARE IMPORTANT FOR EMERGENCY ACCESS VEHICLES) then Secondary Roads; Tertiary Roads
- We are working hard to identify any problem areas, particularly along our coastal communities and other inland neighborhoods that are prone to flooding
UPDATE AT MACARTHUR AIRPORT
- No COMMERCIAL AND/OR GENERAL aviation flights are arriving or departing from the airport until until Wednesday, Jan. 28th, when both SW Airlines and US Airways plan to resume flights @ 11am
- FAA tower is not currently operational; the Airport also remains closed so that plowing operations can continue so that runways are ready and clear when flights resume.
- Passengers should call the airlines directly to get detailed information on their flights
FUTURE OF OPERATIONS
- Plowing efforts will continue around the clock, with the goal of making ALL roadways in the Town of Islip passable for the health, safety and welfare of residents and motorists.