Dog friendly parks?

cjbrandstrom

Dog friendly parks?

19 Apr, 2012 5:18 p.m.

My dog loves meeting new dogs and walking in parks, so I usually bring her over to Gardiner's Park in Bayshore, which is beautiful and has paths that go all the way down to the great south bay. The downside is you must keep your dog on a leash or you will get a ticket.

Does anyone know of a local dog park (Bayshore, Smithtown, Kings Park, Islip area) that allows dogs off leash? Or with a dog run?
Are there any other local dog friendly parks (even on leash) aside from Gardiners?

Cruzer

Re:Dog friendly parks?

20 Apr, 2012 9:24 a.m.

I'm not sure what the leash rules are like for any of these places, but here's a few parks you could check into.

amyg

20 Apr, 2012 11:40 a.m.

Blydenburgh County Park, which is super close to Smithtown, Kings Park, Commack and Hauppauge, has a dog park with separate enclosures for large and small dogs, plus you can walk your dog on the bridal paths near by. But, here's a more comprehensive list of pet-friendly parks on Long Island, pet friendly stores, pet friendly restaurants and pet friendly beaches.

AdeleCjoy

25 Apr, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Yes, I've been to Blydenburgh park ... they have some really nice trails around the lake where you can walk your dog on leash and they also have enclosed dog runs for both small dogs and larger dogs in two separate areas. Generally, it's really nice there and cool that the dogs get to run off leash and play with the other dogs.

Just a note...I have noticed that some dog owners don't watch after their dogs too closely... so be responsible, know your dog's behavior, and make sure you stay nearby and watch for any warning signs that they don't like someone's doggie manners. Avoid dogs that are "loose canons" ...I've seen some random dog fights and mostly it's because the owner was not paying attention (it could have been prevented) and people can get hurt trying to break them up. They don't happen all the time, but being responsible and attentive can prevent problems and "unnecessary roughness" when your dog is playing off leash with others they don't know. :)

AdeleCjoy

25 Apr, 2012 1:12 p.m.

I've also walked my doggie around Argyle Lake in Babylon (on leash)...which is absolutely beautiful! She loves meeting and greeting new dogs on the path :)

Brixton

25 Apr, 2012 4:57 p.m.

I think there's a small dog park in Babylon Village. It's behind the baseball field if you follow the paved path. It was just a fenced in area so I assume it was a dog park. IDK what else they would use that for except to corral obnoxious children haha.

Magpie611

25 Apr, 2012 5:06 p.m.

I highly recommend keeping your dog on a leash. I know someone who let their dog off the leash at a dog park and another dog attacked him. His injuries were so severe he passed away.

Brixton

26 Apr, 2012 4:11 p.m.

So sad!

cjbrandstrom

08 Aug, 2012 3:27 p.m.

Took your advice and went to Blydenburgh park... It is absolutely beautiful!
Very nice, large paths around the lake to walk your dog...although she was just dying to take a swim and I had not brought a towel along for her...so we've got to go back next time a bit more prepared. :)

Just remember to bring your bug spray! I had no idea it was such a big park... there is definitely a lot to explore there.

kesus

16 Jan, 2014 6:26 p.m.

just moved to Huntington st ,anybody knows a lighted park where i can walk my dog on a leash after sundown ?
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog