Poetry readings

poetryvlog

Poetry readings

09 Apr, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Greetings!

April has been acknowledged as "Poetry Month" and poetry readings abound, but for many people time and place prevent them from attending live readings.

That's why along with former Suffolk County poet laureate George Wallace, I began www.poetryvlog.com <http://www.poetryvlog.com/> where, over the past six years, we have videoed more than 150 published poets reading their poetry.

The website attracts upwards to 20,000 hits in a month, offering the poets we have video'd an audience far exceeding what they might experience in their local communities. Viewers from around the world, wherever there is an internet connection, can view any and all the poets on our website.

Poets enjoy reading their works in front of others and the internet is a remarkably well suited vehicle for bringing poetry to an audience. Each video runs for not more than about 15 minutes and when available the texts of the featured poems are presented to the viewers; all at no cost to the poets or the viewers.

The range of poets video'd to date is representative of the breadth of writing being done in America today.

Want to see some of America's contemporary 'majors' in action? Check out David St John, Fran Castan, Carole Muske-Dukes or Marvin Bell. Want to take a tour of Kerouac's Northport or 'hang' with Kerouac collaborator David Amram? Visit with the daughter of Dylan Thomas?Thanks to Poetryvlog, it 's just a click away.

We've video'd performance poets from New York City and other major urban centers, like Bob Holman, Kirpal Gordon, David Lawton and Kat Georges. Thordis Bjornsdottir visits us from Iceland. Yuyutsu Sharma comes to us from Nepal. From the UK, Ireland and beyond, we've brought you Geraldine Green, Aoiffe Mannix, Desmond Egan, Penelope Shuttle and Peter Thabit Jones to the internet.

Over the past six years we have been pleased to offer a platform for a wide range of outstanding poets -- and the poetry-loving public a focused location to celebrate poetry not just in April, but year round. To us, it's a service in support of the community of poets.

We invite you to view www.poetryvlog.com <http://www.poetryvlog.com/> today and follow us in the future, as we add even more published poets to our roster.

Poetryvlog. It's your podium on the web.

Sincerely,
Michael Mart
michael@poetryvlog.com

AdeleCjoy

Re:Poetry readings

19 Apr, 2012 4:31 p.m.

There used to be poetry readings in a wine bar in Port Jefferson, down by the ferries on main street... do you know if that is still going on? I love live readings.

gfrost

21 Apr, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Are there live poetry readings ANYWHERE on the Island anymore? I know Cool Beanz had an open mic night for that kind of stuff but they're long gone at this point.

EPemily

30 Apr, 2012 10:06 a.m.

I just stumbled upon this and I thought I'd share. Bowery Poetry Live from the Bowery Poetry Club in NYC. I'm going to see Andrea Gibson there on May 16. So excited!

cjbrandstrom

30 Apr, 2012 11:35 a.m.

EPemily that sounds really cool... I may have to check that one out...

Pandadoll

02 May, 2012 10:39 a.m.

We would love to have a poetry reading at A Taste of Home Bakery on May 15th - We are The Long Island Fringe Festival - We usually have the Laureates of both Nassau & Suffolk Counties read at our fringe - We are holding PROMO fringe events around Long island this year. Fringe will take place in venues all over Long Island for the next 6 months - Please let us know if you would be interested in doing a small reading on May 15th. You may attend the event at A Taste of Home Bakery ion Bellmore to learn more - Maxwell Wheat may be there, also - this event starts at 7PM - 1992 N Jerusalem Rd, North Bellmore, NY 11710

Long Island Fringe Festival - in the tradition of fringe right in our own backyards -
MORE INFO - fringe@debbydioll.com

Pandadoll

12 Sep, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I think we have OPEN MIC before the event - SEPTEMBER 21 - 8 PM
You could contact Ed Stever Suffolk Laureate to be sure

LI Fringe Festival Performance/Charity Event: Poetry performance with Suffolk County Poet Laureate Ed Stever, Nassau County Poet Laureate Linda Opyr, former Nassau County Poet Laureate Gayl Teller and fiction writer Josh Haney.

This is a fundraiser for RSVP Animal Welfare & Rescue Group.

merievizz

26 Jan, 2013 1:27 a.m.

Its always lovable to ma s that have to go with the poetry and have to read the same it give me happiness and rejoice with it. I have a good collection for the same always love to enhance the same in my existing collection too.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog