Good Sushi in Suffolk Suggestions Please

EPemily

Good Sushi in Suffolk Suggestions Please

31 Mar, 2012 12:50 p.m.

So I love sushi very much but after a few bad experiences at certain restaurants (ahem, Wild Ginger on Jericho) I'm a little afraid to go out and try new places. I like Aki (also on Jericho) and Tomo in Smithtown. I LOVE trying new places though. Does anyone have some suggestions? Please and thanks.

gfrost

Re:Good Sushi in Suffolk Suggestions Please

31 Mar, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Oooo I would try Kerufune (sp?) on Commack Road since that seems to be in your area. It's just passed the Dairy Barn.

hmoire

31 Mar, 2012 12:56 p.m.

We've recently posted two articles siting Seafood restaurants on Long Island. Thought it's not sushi specifc many of these restaurants do serve sushi items. Hopefully this leads you to a restaurant you enjoy. The first is for restaurants on the East End of Long Island and the other happens to be Suffolk County. Good luck in your tasty travels!

ohanders

01 Apr, 2012 11:32 p.m.

KUMO on 347 just passed the Smith Haven Mall is pretty good. A bit expensive but worth the cost.

ZeroCool

03 Apr, 2012 11:38 a.m.

yuuck idk how anyone can even eat sushi

Cruzer

05 Apr, 2012 9:32 p.m.

I'll have to second Aki and Tomo and add Yokohama (which is practically right next to Aki) as one of the better Asian fusion places around. Yummy Sushi in Huntington makes some fantastic maki and, while their selection is small, Monsoon in Babylon's sushi selection is superb.

In Wild Ginger's defense, they do quite well with their various noodle dishes, but there's no reason to go there for sushi with Aki and Yokohama right there.

gfrost

06 Apr, 2012 4:15 p.m.

I've always wanted to try Yokohama. Is that the restaurant with the lighthouse? Where in Huntington is Yummy Sushi. I can't believe I've never noticed it before.

Christian

08 Apr, 2012 12:35 p.m.

Yup, right next to Best Buy and Stop and Shop. Yummy Sushi is on West Jericho Turnpike, not far from the mall; I'm a big fan of both of them. Hotoke in Smithtown makes some nice rolls as well, though they're predominantly a hibachi restaurant.

cjbrandstrom

23 Jul, 2012 6:15 p.m.

I'm a big sushi fan. I've never tried Yokohama...have to check that out. I used to go to the Yummy Sushi in Bellmore all the time when I worked out that way...they were always good. I've never been a fan of hibachi places...(I always feel covered in oil when I leave them! LOL)

A few of my favorites are Kotobuki in Hauppauge ... really good, a little on the pricey side and always a long wait. (If I was starving I wouldn't bother, but for a special occasion or something, its worth the wait)

One of my favorite sushi places when I lived in Port Jefferson was Benten. They used to be located in Mount Sinai...now I think they've moved to a larger location in Miller Place. I haven't been there in a while or been to the new place yet. The downside is there were never any pictures on the menu, so you have to know your sushi stuff or it may take a while to order or you may wind up with something you didn't expect. The staff can be a little quick/abrupt because they are usually so busy. But the food always comes out right and is delicious. This is the kind of place where after a while all the staff knows you by name and the sushi chef will make you whatever you ask for. Not as fancy as some others...but never an hour wait like Kotobuki either.

I've also heard good things about Shiki in Babylon Village, but I've never been there myself... so I can't vouch for it.

cjbrandstrom

23 Jul, 2012 6:31 p.m.

Oh and I would say Aji 53 on Main st. in Bay Shore is another fun place to check out.

Upsides: awesome sushi, varied menu with unusual/fun rolls and salads that are all fabulous,... good, decent sized cocktails, cool atmosphere.
Downside: at night especially, the music is like being in a club...for real. You can barely hear, it's kinda rough having an intimate conversation,... but if it's to hang with friends, a date or just want to eat good food this is the place to go. Almost always a wait...be sure to call for reservations. A bit on the pricey side...but it's always a party :)

Try going for lunch to avoid the wait, crowded bar and the loud music...
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog