Open Discussion: Princesses: Long Island - How Do You Feel This Controversial Program Portrays LI?

CaitR

Open Discussion: Princesses: Long Island - How Do You Feel This Controversial Program Portrays LI?

06 Jun, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Before it even made its debut this past Sunday, Bravo’s latest new TV Show, Princesses: Long Island was causing a stir with locals – many of whom were displeased with how the show’s so-called “princesses” portray the Island.

Since the first episode’s initial airing on Sunday night, the local backlash has absolutely exploded – the show has sparked online protest groups, and inspired countless people to turn to social media to bash the show, and weigh in on the drama.

How do you feel about Princesses: Long Island? Do you feel that the antics of these gaudy gals portrays Long Island in a negative light, or is the show “all in good fun”?

Many Long Islanders have compared the local distaste for the show similar to that of New Jersey residents after The Jersey Shore premiered – do you think Princesses: Long Island will be our “Jersey Shore?”

Weigh in on the hot topic that’s been buzzing around Long Island all week long – we’d love to know what you think!

Christian

Re:Open Discussion: Princesses: Long Island - How Do You Feel This Controversial Program Portrays LI?

06 Jun, 2013 3:40 p.m.

I'd like to say that I'm offended, but I really can't even work up the interest to say that I care. It's a Reality TV show, which everyone knows means that it's about as far removed from reality as anything else on television. Odds are a good chunk of it is in some way scripted or, at the very least, staged.

This is essentially the same thing MTV pulled with Jersey Shore--they found a handful of walking, talking stereotypes and followed them around with cameras to see what stupid antics they could capture on film. I can't believe anyone, even amongst those who have never been to Long Island, could infer that this is an accurate representation of the majority (or, for that matter, a plurality) of Long Islanders.

Of course, I base this opinion entirely off the outrage of others and how they have expressed it (mostly via Twitter). I didn't watch the premier and don't intend to tune in for the rest of the series.

blackhawk6164

Re:Open Discussion: Princesses: Long Island - How Do You Feel This Controversial Program Portrays LI?

06 Jun, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Yea the show is going to make Long Islanders look bad because that will get people to watch it. I'm not saying its right but they're not going to show a person who works 9-5 and is in bed by 830. I'm not going to watch the show and that's about all the protesting I can do and if other Long Islanders don't like this show then boycott it by not watching it.

CaitR

06 Jun, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Although I believe the antics of the show are "typical" of reality television, I do think it's disappointing that these local Long Islanders went out of their way to disparage a neighboring town on national television.

amiee1978

02 Jul, 2013 5:35 p.m.

caitr wrote:
Although I believe the antics of the show are "typical" of reality television, I do think it's disappointing that these local Long Islanders went out of their way to disparage a neighboring town on national television.

Omg this show is not comparable to Jersey Shore. I lived on Long Island a long time ago and people are more stuck up there and into image. I think the main thing would be the girls are so old that's weird. Oh Ahshley I love your parents but gf stop asking every guy you see if their Jewish;)

spencerc3p

04 Aug, 2013 6:43 p.m.

I think it is one of the most repulsive things I have seen on TV. I agree totally w/ Rep. Steven Isreal's comments that it shows Jewish women in a bad light. Ironic really, since the stars such as Ashlee White are so proud of being Jewish and have done more to denigrate and embarrass the Jewish community, than anything I can think of in modern times. I think they owe their highly respected communities a big apology as well as the rest of us who were stupid enough to watch it.
signed a Manhattan WASP who owns her own condo
and does not rely on mommy and daddy for everything.

Lubby

10 Oct, 2013 1:20 a.m.

I just find it beyond sad that some people have lost all sense of personal responsibility. She should donate $1 or so from those silly cup holders she tries to hawk. Bravo is the sewage of tv time to flush.

PaulJBrooks

11 Dec, 2013 10:24 a.m.

i m stranger and i wanna talk to any online person on this topic.If any body is interested so please reply me i m waiting.Thanks for sharing this information.
-----------------------
Corporate Relations
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog