Kindle? or "real" books?

cjbrandstrom

Kindle? or "real" books?

08 Aug, 2012 3:42 p.m.

I love reading books...I've been reading for as long as I can remember and I've grown into a habit of collecting them. I have a weakness for sites like this that sell both new and used or salvaged books from libraries, etc.

Something about the feeling and heft of them, the way the paper smells... it's just the authentic, timeless experience of expanding your mind and imagination that I am in love with and those old fashioned, printed books get me every time! I know, I'm old school and I know a lot of people have gotten e-book readers and kindles, IPads or whatnot...

So what are the pros and cons of buying an e-reader?
What do you like best or worst about them?
Do you have a favorite device? Any pet peeves?

I'm trying to decide if it's time for a change and if it is worth trying one of these out?... (my book collection is getting a bit too large for my apartment) :)
Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

AdeleCjoy

Re:Kindle? or "real" books?

10 Aug, 2012 1:34 p.m.

I have a Nook and it's great both indoors and out... day or night. Some have shiny screens that make it hard to see in daylight/outdoors. I love, love, love it... and can't imagine life without it!
A few friends of mine have Kindle, and Kindle keyboard... they love them too.
I have heard the IPad is not as great as far as outdoor reading...
Totally worth it, whichever you decide on!

blackhawk6164

18 Sep, 2012 12:01 p.m.

I have a Kindle, and it was mostly because of my girlfriend, if not for her i would still be reading paper books because i also like the feel of an actual book. However the kindle really has grown on me, I love the instant gratification of getting a book at any time and reading in seconds. However, I do miss roaming the book store to find a book, shopping for books on line isnt nearly the same, and you just dont get the same satisfaction of finding a good book on the shelf.

Traveler

13 Jul, 2013 4:58 p.m.

I love the smell and feel of paperbacks more than almost anything else. It takes me back to my childhood and all the time I spent at the local library. However, I have a hard time reading paperback print these days, so I finally broke down and bought a Kindle because you can adjust the size of the text and backlight it. It makes it so much easier to read!

Scotty_16

13 Jul, 2013 7:17 p.m.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't think I'll ever get Kindle. I do a lot of things online......work, play, shop, research, but one thing I don't think I'll ever do is read a novel on a computer device.

If it's not on paper, it's not a novel.

IrmaJo

14 Jul, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Scotty_16 wrote:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't think I'll ever get Kindle. I do a lot of things online......work, play, shop, research, but one thing I don't think I'll ever do is read a novel on a computer device.

If it's not on paper, it's not a novel.

I'm exactly the same way. I love the feel of a real book in my hands and I can't see myself ever holding an e-reader and feeling the same way.

Ronin

08 Jun, 2014 9:49 p.m.

E-readers can be good supplements but not replacements for real books. I still like having a paper book in hand. On a side note I grew up without much money and my books were some of my prize possessions. I didn't have much but I had good books.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog