Construction guru for a busy family...?

AdeleCjoy

Construction guru for a busy family...?

26 May, 2012 6:10 p.m.

We have a really busy home, full of family and always on the run... probably like most families on Long Island. We've been putting off doing work to the house, although we need it desperately ... we have heard about home renovation nightmares and kitchens taking over a year to complete! Simply put, we cannot afford to do the work AND eat out with the family every night for a year! ...

So we are looking to hire a good construction guru to help us plan, design and put together a good team that will do what they say when they say they will....without ripping us off. Really seems like a simple idea, but we've heard of nightmares! ...

Has anyone heard of a good architectural firm or construction management firm to help us get through this project quickly and efficiently, so we can get on with living in our home? I know it is a bit off topic, but I'm hoping other families have gone through similar ordeals and we can get a little advice. Thanks so much!

cjbrandstrom

Re:Construction guru for a busy family...?

28 May, 2012 11:18 p.m.

The two best pieces of advice I can give you are develop a reasonable budget and work with a professional (designer, architect or kitchen designer). Doing your homework is very important. But just as important is making sure you feel comfortable with whomever you hire and communicate effectively with them so they understand your needs and wants and can steer you in the right direction.

A professional will thoroughly review the budget and expected timeframe and develop precise plans which include all specified materials prior to getting a bid or having you commit to any contractual work. This will cut down on errors, wind up being much more cost effective and help the job stay on time and in budget...not to mention give you peace of mind. Here is a link of a local architecture firm I would highly recommend.

Check this section out for tons of local Long Island resources. Always make sure to check with consumers affairs and make sure they have a good reputation. Ask to see similar work completed in your area and speak with that client during the walk through... and ask for additional client and business references. Many businesses have been hurt in the economic downturn...so make sure to do your homework and thoroughly check out the company you intend to hire.

cjbrandstrom

09 Jun, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Another good tidbit of advice....

This article discusses when and if to use custom cabinetry...and what that means.
Enjoy!

Jenna1023

23 Jun, 2012 8:37 p.m.

My kitchen designer was excellent.... I highly recommend using a professional like her. She made the whole process much less intimidating and so much easier. She also saved me so much money by making practical choices that made sense and getting them right the first time around.

I got a much better kitchen than I ever imagined for the money. It is just gorgeous.

kjts918

10 Jul, 2012 2:51 p.m.

We have used Major Homes for a number of jobs in our house over the years. We first used them to replace all of the windows in our house, then we used them to replace our wood deck. Just recently had our kitchen renovated completely ,we had it gutted and expanded and Major Homes was on the job! THEY WERE AWESOME! They were spot on with their pricing, unbelievably professional, always on time, answered calls immediately etc. etc. Our kitchen looks amazing! With all of the horror stories going around about contractors, its very refreshing to have Mitch, Budd and the rest of the crew at Major Homes on the job. We literally had no problems from the day the demo started to the day the last appliance was installed. Anyone reading this should DEFINITELY use Major Homes. You will be very happy you did.

cjbrandstrom

10 Sep, 2012 7:41 p.m.

Long Island.com has come out with a great series of articles called "Homeowner How To:"...

Here are some great ideas and advice on kitchen backsplash selections...Enjoy!

Keep your eyes open for the latest and greatest of homeowner's how to articles...dealing with homeowner renovation ideas, construction tips, hiring tips and design.

cjbrandstrom

09 Jan, 2013 3:46 p.m.

If you are looking for a great kitchen or bath contractor, be sure to check out our home improvement business listings here for local professionals.

PaulJBrooks

27 Nov, 2013 5:29 a.m.

i think this is a good approach for every one.we have heard about home renovation nightmares and kitchens taking over a year to complete!.Thanks for sharing this information.
----------------
Corporate Relations
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog