Hey guys, funny thing happened this morning. A bird was stuck in my fireplace!

GretchenFrost

Hey guys, funny thing happened this morning. A bird was stuck in my fireplace!

10 Feb, 2012 1:12 p.m.

I woke up this morning to the sounds of scratching in the fireplace/stove in my living room. I thought it must have a been a squirrel who accidentally fell into the chimney. Upon further investigation I found it was actually a bird. A grackle to be specific. Here are some pictures.

You can click HERE for more photos.

The little guy made it outside in one piece but I learned a few lessons. Lock your cats up BEFORE you let the bird out of the fireplace. Hopefully the bird wasn't traumatized by it's (several) near death experiences before escaping back in the wild that is a suburban Kings Park backyard. It's also a good idea to get windows and doors open prior to extracting the bird.

vickiem

Re:Hey guys, funny thing happened this morning. A bird was stuck in my fireplace!

17 Feb, 2012 7:15 p.m.

We'll have to keep your advice in mind the next time we find a bird stuck in our fireplaces/stoves. Seriously, this is quite a story. How did you finally manage to get it outside?

gfrost

Re:Hey guys, funny thing happened this morning. A bird was stuck in my fireplace!

01 Mar, 2012 10:48 a.m.

My fireplace is more like a stove, so in order to open it you have to move a lever and the doors to the stove move to the side. I opened the doors just slightly because my my boyfriend thought he would be able grab the bird and bring it outside. His logic was that it must have been tired from trying to escape the fireplace so this was going to be easy. Not so. The bird took off into the house with us chasing behind it and trying to keep the cats away from it. It perched itself on several windows, doors and the shower curtain rod before we were eventually able to coax it out the front door. The whole thing was pretty comical.

vickiem

05 Mar, 2012 11:55 a.m.

I guess even if the bird was really tired, it panicked and took off on sheer adrenalin when you opened the stove door. So glad it escaped unharmed. Thanks for sharing your unusual adventure with us!
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog