Beachside Camping on Long Island

cjbrandstrom

Beachside Camping on Long Island

04 Jun, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Camping can be a great time... and sometimes a painful experience! Sometimes even the best laid plans are ruined by the weather, nature (bees anyone?) and the unforeseen.

I started as a 5 year old with my family. We went camping upstate New York every year all my life. Even with the sometimes unforeseen issues, camping is something I have always loved.

Something about being in the big, green open outdoors, with nothing but campfires and ghost stories, card games and books, a night sky full of stars while you listen to the waves lap against the shore, hanging out drinking cocktail concoctions with friends, boating and tubing during the day.... Leaving all phones and televisions and worries behind is so cleansing for the soul. Living with the mountains for two weeks on a little island far away from civilization is like taking a sponge to your soul and washing away all your worries, fears and doubts. I've always come away from each trip with a sense of deep peace and renewed energy that is just amazing.... It's like finding yourself anew every time.

So, it's been a few years since I've been upstate (I'm missing it badly!) and I'm looking for a local camp ground right on Long Island. I just can't get upstate this year, and I'm hoping someone can steer me toward a great local campsite in the area, preferably beachside? Thanks!

gfrost

Re:Beachside Camping on Long Island

05 Jun, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Hither Hills in Montauk is very nice. I've only been there once but it was fabulous. It's a very short walk passed the dunes to the beach. Great for sunset viewing. And it's not too far from town so you can do some shopping while you're there.

Here's a few more Long Island camping hot spots.

cjbrandstrom

Re:Beachside Camping on Long Island

10 Jun, 2012 1:21 p.m.

This link also says that Smiths Point County Park offers beachside camping sites... with a tent or with a motor home and four wheel drive permit right on the beach!

I have to check that out for sure!...sounds awesome! I love 4WDing and campfires on the beach :)
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog