Established as a 9-hole private golf course in 1878, this is one of America’s oldest golfing facilities. Originally, it competed with both hunting and the steeplechase, but in 1917, the course was expanded to 18-holes. Devereux Emmet and A.W. Tillinghast designed the overall layout and Perry Maxwell and J. Press Maxwell fine-tuned it in later years. The Scottish-style links course measures 6,251 yards from its longest tees and has a par value of 70. Because of space limitations, several holes on the mostly flat terrain cross each other. The fairway mounding creates uneven lies and the water hazards and constant wind add more challenge. Two holes are actually played along the Atlantic Ocean in very windy conditions. This course plays straight out from the clubhouse for the front nine and then back to the clubhouse for the final nine. Other amenities include the driving range, the grass and clay tennis courts, singles and doubles squash courts, a Pro shop, a full bar and restaurant dining indoors or out on the incredible dining porch. The club is open from April through October.