The first nine holes of this privately-owned golf course were designed by Herbert Strong in 1915. A.W. Tillinghast redesigned and added the last nine holes in 1927, but the property was abandoned during WWII and used for military exercises. In 1953, Stanley Lazarus and some Bethpage golfers brought the original course back to life and it has been a hub of social activity ever since. The 6,471-yard course has a par-71 value, a rating of 71.2 and a slope of 122. Intermediate players will really enjoy the layout with its generous, tree-lined fairways, tricky water hazards and small, fast greens. Caddies are on hand for those who choose to walk the course. Players can also practice in the short game area or on the driving range. A family atmosphere encourages the younger set and a junior program is specially designed to introduce the next generation to the joys of golfing. Full food services, including catering for 20–300, are offered both inside the elegant dining facilities and on the lovely outdoor deck.