In 1920, a group of Hempstead businessmen purchased 122 acres of farmlands and woods and hired Peter Lees to design the first nine holes for their new golf course. In 1927, A.W. Tillinghast carved the final nine holes from the wooded section of the property. The original farmhouse was retained as a clubhouse. More recent restorations were completed by Stephen Kay, but the Hempstead course retains its old, traditional style and charm. Narrow fairways, small greens and several mounds and bunkers are artfully constructed for an interesting and challenging course. There are no water hazards. Golfers may choose from four tees ranging from 5,896 yards to 6,595 yards and a par value of 72 to 74. Host of four MGA championships, this private, member-owned club also offers tennis courts, bowling alleys, swimming and complete food and beverage services. Formality is respected here.