The Sandy Hook Elementary school tragedy is one of those life changing events - you will forever remember where you were when you heard the horrific news. There were tragedies that rocked the world: Pearl Harbor, The Kennedy Assassination, etc. But in my lifetime, I can think of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster; Columbine; 9/11; and now this. Not to mention the many other massacres that have occurred over the last 10 years. It stings horribly - I can't imagine what those families are going through. My heart breaks in a million pieces for them. It is hard to come to terms with the fact that such a senseless, violent act has happened, and young, innocent lives were lost because of it.
We have been told by our school districts that they are reinforcing their safety protocol. The psychologists and social workers are available to assist students, parents and staff as needed to discuss the events that took place in Newtown.
As the nation mourns the death of 20 children and the six educators who died protecting them, Long Islanders are looking for ways to do something for the victims and their families. Here are some things that you can do locally to support the people of Newtown, Connecticut:
- Mail a Condolence Card - The Newtown Post Office has set up a special PO Box to recieve cards for those effected by the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting.
- Attend Walk 27 - an event happening worldwide to remember and celebrate the lives of those lost during this tragedy.
- Snowflakes for Sandy Hook - When school resumes for Sandy Hook, it will be in a new building. Parent-volunteers are working to ensure that the students are welcomed back by a winter wonderland with the entire school decorated with as many unique snowflakes as possible.
- Donate to United Way - The United Way has started the Sandy Hook School Support Fund to provide help with funeral expenses, counseling and other services. Donate to the United Way's fund.
- Support Project Linus - This non-profit group has arranged to send more than 700 warm, cozy handmade blankets to children affected by this latest shooting.
Represent Sandy Hook School's Colors - In remembrance of the events that occurred, wear the colors of Sandy Hook Elementary School (Green and White).
If you're involved in any community outreach programs, or you're organizing an event in support of the Newtown Community, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in this list.