LongIsland.com

Museum Spotlight: Seaford Historical Society and Museum

Written by families  |  26. November 2007

In 1893 The Union Free School District in Seaford New York voted on a $3,500 budget for the construction of a school. This was Seaford's third schoolhouse and was dedicated on Arbor Day in 1894. The building, originally constructed on Jackson and Waverly Avenues, served as a school until 1917, when the school board decided that the district had outgrown its present quarters. On the opening of the Jackson Avenue school in 1921, the building was moved a block away and became the headquarters for the Seaford Fire Department. On July 4, 1976, in commemoration of the Nation's Bicentennial, the structure, now located on Waverly Avenue between Jackson and Southward was dedicated as the Seaford Historical Museum. The Seaford Historical Museum houses memorabilia of Seaford as a bay and farming town. Historic displays include the schoolroom, furniture, farming and carpentry tools, photos, old business machines and Seaford skiff. The museum is open by appointment and admission is free. Seaford Historical Museum 3890 Waverly Avenue Seaford, NY 11783 516-781-5184 The Seaford Historical Society, a non-profit group began the effort to revitalize the museum. The goal of the Historical Society is to preserve the Maritime History of Seaford by creating an educational and learning center. This is an ongoing and costly endeavor. The Historical Society is depending on community support to raise public awareness. They are in need of new members, volunteers and donations of materials and services to continue the museum restoration project. Contributions of a financial or historical nature are also welcome and will help to enhance and expand the museum programs and offerings. Seaford's Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony takes place at the Seaford Firehouse, 2170 Southard Avenue on Saturday December 1, 2007. After the tree lighting the Seaford Historical Society will host a holiday open house for anyone who would like to visit from 6-8:30pm. For those that are interested in getting involved in the museum project, a general meeting of the Seaford Historical Society will be held on January 3, 2008, at 7:30pm at the Seaford Firehouse. The speaker will be Harrison Hunt, Historic Site Supervisor for Nassau County, who will speak about the Civil War on Long Island. For more information please call 516-781-5184 or visit http://www.seafordhistoricalsociety.org ---------- Information and photos reprinted with permission and provided courtesy of the Seaford Historical Society

Copyright © 1996-2019 LongIsland.com & Long Island Media, Inc. All rights reserved.