With Fall finally here at last, there is no better way to usher in the new season than by going pumpkin picking. Whether you're going out with the family for the afternoon or plan to spend the time with a special somebody, heading out to a pumpkin patch is a perfect activity for children and adults alike.
Though the activity of selecting pumpkins at a local farm is often enjoyable enough to justify itself, selecting the perfect pumpkin can aid in creating delicious baked goods like pies and bread. Likewise, the pumpkins can be selected based on shapes and sizes most beneficial for pumpkin carving designs. Whatever your reason for spending some time pumpkin picking, follow these tips for selecting the perfect pumpkin:
- If you plan to carve: Think about what shape and size would best suit your desired design before purchasing.
- If you plan to eat: Sugar pumpkins (diameter of 8-10”) are better-suited for baking than larger, decorative-oriented pumpkins.
- Select pumpkins based on those that have firm, smooth skin without signs of dents or bruises.
- Pumpkins with flat bases are ideal for display after carving.
- Knock on the shell to ensure that the pumpkin makes a hollow sound. A hollow sound is a positive indicator that the pumpkin is ripe.
With these tips in mind, check out one of the following prime destinations for pumpkin picking right here on Long Island!
Woodside Nursery & Garden Center
134 East Woodside Avenue, Patchogue NY 11772
2 Taylor Lane, St. James, NY 11780
Elwood Pumpkin Farm
1500 East Jericho Turnpike, Huntington, NY 11743
Glover Farms U-Pick Pumpkins
633 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven, NY 11719
Greenland Family Farms
17155 County Road #48, Cutchogue, NY 11935
Krupski's Vegetable Picking & Pumpkin Farm
38030 Route 25, Peconic, NY 11958
812 Sound Avenue, Calverton, NY 11933
Windy Acres Farm
3810 Middle Country Road, Calverton, NY 11933
Colonial Springs Farm
201 Main Avenue, Wheatley Heights, NY 11798
Know of any other great local pumpkin patches?
Let Us Know In The Comments Below!
Photo by Stratsan, via Free Images.