The North Fork of Long Island: A Visitor's Guide
The North Fork is the eastern portion of the North Shore of Long Island in Suffolk County. This area is one of the last remaining vestiges of rural country living on Long Island. The region has been designated as an American Viticultural Area for its rich lands suitable for growing wine grapes. The proximity to the Long Island Sound, the Peconic Bay and the Atlantic Ocean helps moderate temperature fluctuations, making the growing season stretch late into the year.
Merlot, Chardonnay and Cabernet Franc are the three main wines produced in this region. Route 25, the main road stretching out to Orient Point, is lined with vineyards and wineries, and wine tasting is the main attraction for tourists in the area.
The North Fork is home to several pristine beaches that open to the Long Island Sound, the Atlantic Ocean and the Peconic Bay. Orient Beach State Park, situated near the tip of the North Fork welcomes visitors to enjoy these beautiful waters. Fishing and water sports are also major industries in this region, and boating is among the most popular recreations for local residents.
The area is also home to many local attractions and kid-friendly stops. The Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center is a very popular place to visit. Visitors can view aquatic life, catch a sea lion show, and if you’re up to it, even swim with the sharks. The North Fork is also home to many museums teeming with information about the local area and its history. If it’s a hot day and you’re looking to cool off, bring the family to Splish Splash and wade in the lazy river or speed down a waterslide into a refreshing pool.
With so much to do and see on the North Fork you’ll be wishing you had endless amounts of time to explore it.
Vineyards & Wineries
The North Fork is a thriving viticulture area. With rich soil and terrain suitable for growing grapes the roads leading all the way down to the very end of Long Island are abundant in wineries and vineyards. The North Fork alone has around 50 different vineyards for visitors to step in for a tasting. The wine region is also very diverse producing wines from chardonnay to merlot, Riesling to rosé.
- Ackerly Pond Vineyards/Bella Vita Vineyard – 1375 Peconic Lane, Peconic, NY 11958 – This casual, rustic barn vineyard not only allows guest to try their wines but to make their very own and bring the barrel home.
- Bedell Cellars/Corey Creek Vineyards – 36255 Main Road Route 25, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – These eco-friendly vineyards offer wine tasting year round.
- Clovis Point – 1935 Main Road, Jamesport, NY 11947 – Clovis tastings are held in a beautiful barn on the property. Live music and entertainment events are hosted regularly on the weekends.
- Diliberto Winery – 250 Manor Lane, Jamesport, NY 11947 – Enjoy a glass of wine in the tasting room or out on the covered patio. Tastings are available year round.
- Jamesport Vineyards – 1216 Main Road, Jamesport, NY 11947 – Jamesport Vineyards serves up delicious meats, cheeses, and has a raw bar available to compliment your wine choices.
- Macari Vineyards & Winery – 150 Bergen Ave, Mattituck, NY 11952 – Focusing on natural and sustainable wine production, Macari is open year round for wine tastings.
- Martha Clara Vineyards – 6025 Sound Ave, Riverhead, 11901 – Open 7 days a week Martha Clara consists of over 100 acres of vineyards. Visitors can even take a horse drawn carriage ride around the estate.
- Palmer Vineyards – 5120 Sounds Avenue Route 48, Riverhead, 11901 – The winery offers a full schedule of wine tastings and hosts live musical performances and art exhibits throughout the year.
- Pellegrini Vineyards – 23005 Route 25, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – Pellegrini produces many wines including award winning chardonnay and merlot varieties. Tours of their state of the art facilities are available.
- Pugliese Vineyards – 34515 Main Road Route 25, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – Listen to live music on the weekends while you taste Pugliese’s unique host of ports and dessert wines. Tours available by appointment only.
- Roanoke Vineyards – 3543 Sound Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901 – This vineyard offers hand-crafted, small-production wines only available online or at the vineyard.
- Shinn Estate Vineyards – 2000 Oregon Road, Mattituck, NY 11952 – Shinn Estate is a winery and home to a bed and breakfast. On Saturdays and Sundays a walking tour of the vineyard accompanies the wine tasting.
- Waters Crest Winery – 22355 Route 48 Unit 6, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – In addition to wine tastings Waters Crest offers “Wine University” classes to educate visitors about fine wines.
Wine Tours are a fantastic way to visit the wineries and vineyards on the North Fork. Instead of having to drive yourself from winery to winery you will be chauffeured to and from the vineyards all throughout wine country. This way you can fit in as many wineries as possible, you’ll be comfortable and relaxed in a luxury vehicle, and no one has to worry about driving after tasting all of those exquisite wines.
- LI Vineyard Tours – Visit the North Fork vineyards in style! Long Island Vineyard Tours has a fleet of limos and party buses ready to get you and your group swiftly and safely to the wineries of your choosing.
- LI Vino Tours – 15 Birchfield Ave, Babylon, NY 11702 – LI Vino Tours will get you to the wineries and back safely in one of their elegant town cars or luxurious stretch limos. Their vehicles can accommodate a group as few as 3 people all the way up to a group of 10 people.
- First Glass Wine Tours of Long Island – It’s First Glass Wine Tours goal to expose guests to the distinctive wine selections of the Long Island region and provide savory, gourmet food.
- Lancelot Limo North Fork Wine Tours – 151 Denton Ave, New Hyde Park, NY 11040 – Sit back and relax while your chauffeur takes you on a tour of the North Fork vineyards. Lancelot will put together a tour of your choosing or aid you in picking out which wineries to make a stop at.
- East End Wine Tasting Tour – 110 Lake Avenue South, Nesconset, NY 11767 – East End Wine Tasting Tour allows customers to customize their very own tour of the wineries and vineyards. Their fleet consists of 6 to 8-passenger Lincoln Town Car limousines, 9 to 12-passenger SUV limousines, and 55-passenger buses.
- Camelot Specialty Limos – 31 Central Drive, Farmingdale, NY 11735 – This family owned and operated business will ensure your trip to wine country is safe, relaxed, and enjoyable one. Their fleets of vehicles vary in size to accommodate any party or preference.
- Colonial Transportation Vineyard Tours – 282 Railroad Ave, Sayville, NY 11782 – Great wine tours for a girl’s day out, a quiet getaway, and any special occasion. Their 7 hour wine tour packages includes pick up and drop off, wine tasting at 3 vineyards, and a delicious spread for lunch.
- Only For Your Limo – 1438 Dewey Ave, North Bellmore, NY 11710 – No need to figure out a designated driver! Only For You Limo services offer a variety of wine tour packages that allow you to kick back and enjoy the ride, and of course the delicious wines.
- Precious Moments Limousines – Precious Moments Limousines are the Long Island winery and party specialists! Let them take care of all the hassle while you make precious memories with your family and friends touring the vineyards.
- Mark of Elegance Vineyard Tours – 1717 Motor Parkway, Hauppauge, NY 11788 – Take a customizable wine tour while you overlook the beautiful Long Island countryside. The tour will even stop by the farm stands, antique stores, or a local restaurant, to ensure that you get exactly what you want out of your visit to the North Fork and East End.
- American Eagles Limo – 54 Probst Drive, Shirley, NY 11967 – With fully loaded limousines and experienced drivers, American Eagle Limos provide guests with a safe and comfortable ride. Their fleet includes SUVs, town cars, party buses, and stretch limousines.
- Allstate Coach & Limo – Make a trip out to the North Fork wineries in style! Allstate Coach & Limo provides reasonable rates, high quality service, and exceptional reliability for their customers.
Farm Stands & Farmers Markets
Once you’ve passed the busy commercial center of Riverhead it is almost as if you’ve been transported to a different, rural place, much more akin to areas of Upstate New York. Littered all along the long strip of land leading to Orient Point are miles and miles of farm stands. From fresh produce to gorgeous flowers, pick-your-own berries in summer to fun hayrides in autumn, farm stands provide lots of seasonal food and fun for visitors of the North Fork.
- Briermere Farms – 4414 Sound Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901 – Briermere sells delicious pies, cookies, cakes, muffins, jams, and jellies made with their home-grown fruit. Their breads are all made from scratch, no pre-prepared ingredients.
- Catapano Dairy Farm – 33705 North Road, Peconic, NY 11958 – This small, family-owned goat dairy features award-winning cheeses. They also sell milk soaps in the shop.
- Golden Earthworm Organic Farm – 652 Peconic Bay Blvd, Riverhead, NY 11901 – This certified organic farm sells peppers, beets, eggplant, radishes, and much more. When in season they offer pick-your-own strawberries.
- Krupski Farm – 38030 Route 25, Peconic, NY 11958 – This pick-your-own farm offers fruits and vegetables for purchase. During autumn they host a haunted barn, hayride, and corn maze.
- Lewin Farm – 812 Sound Avenue, Calverton, NY 11933 – A jack of all trades Lewin Farm has a wide variety of produce, pick-your-own berries, and Halloween festivities like hayrides, a corn maze, and pumpkin picking.
- Wickham’s Fruit Farm – 28700 Main Road, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – Wickham’s has been growing quality produce for over 200 years. They sell fruit, cheese, baked treats, and if you join their Fruit Farm Club you can pick-your-own apples, cherries, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
North Fork Beaches
Spend some time soaking up the sun at the beautiful beaches lining the North Fork of Long Island. Dig your toes into the sand and take a dip in the Long Island Sound. Whether you want to work on your tan, spend the morning people watching, or get some exercise out in the open water, these picturesque beaches are the perfect places to do so.
- Indian Island County Park – Cross River Drive Route 105, Riverhead, NY 11901 – A 275 acre County Park located at the mouth of the Peconic River with peaceful views of Flanders Bay.
- Iron Pier Beach – Pier Ave & Bayberry Lane, Jamesport, NY 11947 – Popular spot for fishing, jet skiing, and water sports. The beach is public but requires a parking permit.
- Kenney’s Beach – 475 Leeton Rd, Southold, NY 11971 – Kenney’s offers lifeguard supervision but parking permits are for Southold Town residents only.
- McCabe’s Beach – 8670 Horton’s Lane, Southold, NY 11971 – Parking permit is only for Southold Town residents and there is lifeguard supervision.
- Norman Klipp Park Beach – Manhasset Ave, Greenport, NY 11944 – Take advantage of the beach by snorkeling, scuba diving, and canoeing in the waters.
- Orient Beach State Park – Route 25, Orient, NY 11957 – Relax at the beach or take a kayak tour through the beach or a partner company.
- Reeves Beach – Park Road, Riverhead, NY 11901 – This beach offers a swimming area, restrooms, and a gazebo. You can fish also but after 10 p.m. you need a permit to fish.
- South Jamesport Beach – Town Beach Drive, South Jamesport, NY 11970 – This large beach is home to shallow waters, great for bringing the kids. Activities like tennis, fishing, and basketball are also there to enjoy.
- Southold Town Beach – Old Cove Road, Southold, NY 11971 – The boat ramp at the beach allows for easy kayaking, canoeing, and fishing access. A Southold town permit is required for parking.
Spend a day hitting the links and working on your game at one of the many golf courses on Long Island. The public courses have exciting layouts and primly landscaped greens ranging from beginner courses to professional level courses. Depending on how much time you have to spend on the green, the golf courses around the North Fork feature both 9-hole and 18-hole course layouts so you can plan and play accordingly.
- Cedars Golf Club – 305 Cases Lane, Cutchogue, NY 11935 – Open April through November this 9-hole course houses a misleadingly challenging course, practice bunker, chipping area, and putting green.
- Cherry Creek Golf Links – 900 Reeves Ave, Riverhead, NY 11901 – This course offers players the choice of 4 tees with varying distances and a par value of 71.
- Indian Island Golf Club – 661 Riverside Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901 – With beautiful views of the Peconic River, this 18-hole golf course offers players 4 different courses to choose from.
- Island’s End Golf & Country Club – 5025 Route 25, Greenport, NY 11944 – Settled right in the heart of wine country, bunkers, doglegs, moguls, trees and sea breezes can complicate play at this course.
- Long Island National Golf Club – 1793 Northville Turnpike, Riverhead, NY 11901 – With 55 bunkers, 3 large lakes, and hilly landing areas, this is quite the challenging course.
- Sag Harbor Golf Club – Barcelona Point, Sag Harbor, NY 11963 – Compacted in less than 50 acres, this 9-hole course sits out on a peninsula surrounded by woodlands, wetlands, and bluffs.
- Sandy Pond Golf Course – 1495 Roanoke Ave, Riverhead, NY 11901 – At this family-friendly, 9-hole golf course all holes are par-3 design. Weather permitting, Sandy Pond is open year round.
- Calverton Links – 149 Edwards Ave, Calverton, NY 11933 – This par value 71 course features narrow fairways, swelling greens, water obstacles, sand bunkers, and easy to walk flat terrain. They even have a mini-golf course.
Fun For Kids
There is tons of fun to be had for kids along the North Fork. Kids can view underwater life at the aquarium, learn something new at a museum, eat homemade ice cream, pet and feed farm animals, and ride around town on rented bikes. Each town along the North Fork has their very own unique attractions geared towards kids so as you make your way down the northern strip, if you have time, be sure to stop in town for some fun.
- Splish Splash Water Park – 2549 Splish Splash Dr, Calverton, NY 11933 – Open through August, Splish Splash Water Park provides wet fun for people of all ages. They have over 20 rides, attractions, and shows.
- Greenport Antique Carousel & Ice Skating Rink – 115 Front Street, Greenport, NY 11944 – Located right in Mitchell Park the intricate, antique carousel operates daily during the in season and weekends during the off season. If you can grab a brass ring during your loop you get a free ride! The ice skating rink only open during the winter, and weather permitting, allows visitors and town folk to enjoy some time on the ice.
- Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center – 431 East Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901 – The Long Island Aquarium allows visitors to get up close and personal with underwater life. Exhibits include a penguin pavilion, touch tanks, a koi pond, a coliseum for the sea lion shows, and much, much more.
- Dan’s Bike Rental – Greenport, NY 11944 – Dan’s has bike rental options for both kids and adults. The facility will even deliver your bike right to you so you can enjoy exploring the area on wheels.
- Safari Adventure – 1074 Pulaski Street, Riverhead, NY 11901 – Ideal for children ages 1 – 10, Safari Adventure has a 4 level soft play structure, bouncers, and arcade games to keep your little ones occupied and active.
- Greenport Skate Park – Moores Lane, Greenport, NY 11944 – This 20,000 square foot, outdoor skate park includes mini-ramps, a street course, and a half-pipe. Pads and a helmet are required to use the facilities.
Local Things To Do
Looking for something special to do as you travel this side of the Island? Don’t worry, there are many places and attractions to stop at as you make your way to your final destination.
- Peconic Paddler – 89 Peconic Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901 – In business for over 48 years, Peconic Paddler rents out kayaks, paddle boards, and canoes. Take an adventurous trip down the Peconic River to explore your surroundings and see local wildlife.
- Railroad Museum of Long Island – 440 4th Street, Greenport, NY 11944 – Situated in a former LIRR freight house, the museum has exhibits on both the outside and inside of the old building. The museum houses some rare historic treasures, including a pneumatic powered turntable, only one left of three in existence.
- Monty Man II Fishing Charters – 40200 Main Road, Orient Point, NY 11957 – Set up an all day, half day, or nighttime excursion with the knowledgeable Captain Jim. He can show you where to toss your line and give you fishing tips to help you nab that next catch. Boats accommodate 1 – 6 passengers, great for a family outing or quiet day on the water.
- Southold Indian Museum – 1080 Main Bayview Road, Southold, NY 11971 – The museum exhibits include soapstone bowls, arrowheads, spear heads, tools, children’s games, fishing tools, and the largest collection of Algonquin ceramic pottery. If you visit during July or August you’ll be treated to a special summer exhibit.
- East End Seaport Museum – 3rd Street, Greenport, NY 11944 – Originally part of the Long Island Rail Road, the building the museum is housed in is one of the few original stations left on Long Island constructed prior to the 1900s. Exhibits include lighthouse lenses, like the Fresnel lenses, and information about the maritime heritage of the area and fishing industries.
Dining & Nightlife
Whether you’re looking for a casual or fine dining experience, the North Fork of Long Island has a plethora of cuisine options for restaurant goers to enjoy. Each town has their very own independent restaurants, ranging in a mixture of choices. With so many dining options to choose from you’ll have no problem finding one that meets your needs and matches your craving.
If you're looking for fun things to do in other great places on Long Island, check out our other Guides for Sag Harbor, The Hamptons, Ocean Beach, Fire Island, Northport, Greenport, Port Jefferson, Montauk and Freeport!