Update - February 28, 2014 - New Jersey State Police arrested and charged twenty nine (29) men on February 27, 2014 in the takedown of a major international carjacking and stolen car trafficking ring that stole luxury cars in New Jersey and New York including Nassau County. For the complete story log onto www.njsp.org and click on Twenty-nine charged.
Nassau County, NY - December 19, 2013 - County Executive Edward P. Mangano and Police Commissioner Victor F. Politi want to alert the public that there has been a pattern of luxury cars and SUV’s stolen, not only in Nassau County but throughout the Tri-State area.
Late model Land Rover’s, Mercedes Benz and other luxury cars with push button starts and key fobs are being targeted. The thefts are occurring at all times of the day and night in which the car has been left unlocked and the key fob left in a vehicle equipped with a push button start.
The following are police recommendations to help safeguard your vehicle:
- Always lock your vehicle, even when it’s parked in your driveway or garage.
- Always take your keys or fob with you.
- Never leave or hide a smart key, valet key, or spare key anywhere in or on your vehicle, no matter where you park it.
- If possible park your vehicle in a locked garage.
- Keep the exterior of homes and driveways well illuminated.
- Close all your vehicle windows completely when parked.
- Also, secure your garage door opener to prevent access to your home.
Most important, we want to remind people when they are leaving or returning to their vehicles, they should be observant of cars and people who appear suspicious. If you “See Something, Say Something”.
Dial 9-1-1 and be ready to provide the police with as much information as possible regarding the description of the suspicious person or vehicle. License plate numbers are extremely valuable information for the police.