2016 Fall Freshwater Fishing Festival at Hempstead Lake State Park

LongIsland.com

The Fall Freshwater Fishing Festival will be held at Hempstead Lake State Park, on Saturday, October 15, from 10:00AM – 4:00PM.

Print Email

The fishing license requirement for all anglers over the age of 16 is suspended for this festival and admission and parking are free.

Photo by: Thad Zajdowicz, via Free Images.

West Hempstead, NY - October 6, 2016 - The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s (DEC) I FISH NY Program and Freshwater Fisheries Unit are pleased to announce the Fall Freshwater Fishing Festival will be held at Hempstead Lake State Park, on Saturday, October 15, from 10:00AM – 4:00PM.

The fishing license requirement for all anglers over the age of 16 is suspended for this festival and admission and parking are free. Festival activities include fly-fishing instruction, casting practice, loaner rods, free bait, and fish cleaning services to all participants and are provided by I FISH NY and the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.

Prior to the festival, South and McDonald Ponds will be stocked with hundreds of brook and rainbow trout. The high concentration of stocked trout should provide a great opportunity to introduce your family to the wonderful sport of freshwater fishing. In addition to fishing opportunities, there will be face painting, pony rides, raffles, a casting for pumpkins contest, a live bird show featuring The Raptor Project, and much more.

For additional information, please call (631) 321-3510 weekdays from 9:00AM – 5:00PM. For more information the day of the Festival or weather concerns, please call DEC’s I FISH NY at (631) 444-0283 or Hempstead Lake State Park (516) 766-1029 for event status. There is no rain date for this event.

The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation oversees 180 state parks and 35 historic sites, which are visited by 65 million people annually. A recent study found that New York State Parks generates $1.9 billion in economic activity annually and supports 20,000 jobs. For more information on any of these recreation areas, call 518-474-0456 or visit www.nysparks.com.