New York, NY - September 9, 2014 - The American Red Cross is launching a first-of-its kind Blood Donor App September 9 that puts the power to save lives in the palm of your hand.
The Blood Donor App allows users to schedule blood donations, track their total donations, earn rewards and invite friends to join them on a lifesaving team. The new app is free and available for download now in app stores.
“The Red Cross Blood Donor App is a new way to help meet the constant need for blood,” said Kay Schwartz, CEO, New York-Penn Blood Services Region. “The app makes it easier, faster and more convenient for users to schedule and manage their donation appointments, track the lifetime impact of their donations, and recruit friends and family to roll up a sleeve with them.”
As the nation’s single largest supplier of blood and blood products, the Red Cross is uniquely positioned to bring this cutting edge technology to blood and platelet donors. In addition to scheduling and managing blood donation appointments, other features of the app include:
- A blood drive or blood donation locator;
- The ability to sync a blood donation appointment with the user’s calendar;
- Personalized “selfies” donors can use as they share their donation experience through social media;
- Special badges donors can unlock as they interact with the app, make donations and spread the word;
- A chance for donors to come together to form teams, tracking their cumulative impact and viewing standings on the Blood Donor Teams Leaderboard;
- Exclusive offers and discounts from some of America’s best brands, including Shari’s Berries, ProFlowers and 1A Auto, with new rewards added regularly; and
- Uplifting donor and blood recipient stories that show the power of rolling up a sleeve to help save lives.
The Red Cross has become a leader in putting vital safety information in the hands of people who need it during emergencies, with its award-winning disaster and preparedness apps downloaded more than 5 million times over the past two years. The new Blood Donor App takes it one step further by helping people save lives through blood donations.
The Blood Donor App, along with the others, can be found in app stores by searching for American Red Cross, visiting here or here, or by texting BLOODAPP to 90999 for a direct link to download. Message and data rates for texting may apply.
Eligible blood donors do not need a smartphone to schedule an appointment to give blood. Appointments can always be made by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or by visiting redcrossblood.org.
How to donate blood
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.