Suffolk SPCA: September Is National Disaster Preparedness Month
Help your animal stay safe! Your pet counts on you.
Suffolk County, NY - September 3rd, 2014 - September is Disaster Prepaerdness Month, and the Suffolk County SPCA is reminding Long Islanders to elp your animal stay safe in case of an emergency - your pet counts on you. Have a plan in place. Prepare for the unexpected. Be ready to evacuate. Have essential supplies ready to "grab and go." Know where to find temporary housing for you and your pet.
Make sure that your pet can be identified. Your pet should always wear his or her ID collar and rabies tag.
In the event that you must evacuate, take care of your pet. Never leave your pet behind. He/she may become lost, injured-or worse.
Have a plan in advance:
- Consider friends and relatives outside your local area.
- Check for Pet Friendly Shelters.
- Hotels and motels that allow pets.
- Petswelcome.com has a listing of pet-friendly options.
- Create a pet emergency supply kit.
- Pack basic supplies including food, medication, flashlight, food and water bowls, can opener, cage or carrier, extra collar, litter box, plastic trash bags.
- Bring important records including recent photo of your with our pet, contact information, microchip information.
Remember, be informed and ready to act in the event of a disaster.