Uniondale, NY - July 3rd, 2014 - As summer heats up, PSEG Long Island is encouraging its customers to take advantage of some smart savings with rebates on pool pumps, refrigerators, air purifiers, dryers and efficient central air conditioning.
PSEG Long Island offers a wide array of incentives, rebates and initiatives to residential and commercial customers to assist them in reducing their energy usage and thereby lowering their bills.
Customers replacing an old pool pump with a new efficient or ENERGY STAR® Pool Pump using a participating PSEG Long Island contractor for installation is eligible for up to $450 in rebates. A new ENERGY STAR® Pool Pump can save over 50 percent of annual energy costs, saving hundreds of dollars each year.
Central air conditioning keeps the home cool and also increases energy usage. PSEG Long Island offers up to $500 in rebates on new central air conditioning systems and up to $1,000 when customers replace their inefficient units. ENERGY STAR-rated central air conditioners have a higher Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) than standard models, which makes them more efficient, saving energy and money.
Today's ENERGY STAR-certified refrigerators are up to 15 percent more efficient than new, non-certified models. They can help cut your energy bills by nearly $80 annually over the lifetime of your refrigerator. In addition, PSEG Long Island offers a $75 rebate on ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient 2014 refrigerators, or a $40 rebate on an ENERGY STAR-certified refrigerator larger than 16 cu. ft.
Rebates are also available for ENERGY STAR certified room air purifiers and select Super Efficient Electric Dryers.
An ENERGY STAR certified air purifier is 40 percent more efficient than standard models. That means hundreds in savings over its lifetime and qualifies for a $50 PSEG Long Island mail-in rebate.
The Super Efficient Dryer is 25 percent more efficient than standard electric dryers, saving hundreds of dollars in energy costs over its lifetime and it is eligible for a $150 PSEG Long Island rebate.
Along with upgrading appliances with ENERGY STAR and energy efficient products, customers can use the following tips to help reduce energy use and control costs.
- Install a programmable thermostat and raise the setting to the highest comfortable temperature. You can save 3 percent on your air conditioning costs for each degree you raise the thermostat.
- Close doors leading to uncooled parts of your home. If you have central air conditioning, close off vents to unused rooms and always keep filters clean.
- Even if you have air conditioning, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows. Eliminate air leaks around window air conditioners with foam insulation or weather-stripping.
- Close blinds, shades and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun's heat and help fans and air conditioners cool more efficiently.
- Plug electronics into power strips and turn off the power switch when the items are not in use. TVs, computers and other electronic devices draw power when they are in standby mode or turned off but still plugged in.
- Use timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
- If possible, install whole-house fans that bring in cooler night-time air. These can pre-cool a house and reduce energy use in the daytime if heat is kept out by closing windows and shades.
For more information on how to save energy and money visit https://www.psegliny.com/savemoney.