Beaches in Huntington, Babylon and Islip Closed to Bathing
By Long Island News & PRs Published: June 16 2014
Eight beaches have been closed for excessive bacterial levels.
Huntigton, NY - June 16, 2014 - Suffolk County Department of Health Services has closed the following beaches due to the finding of bacterial levels in excess of acceptable criteria:
- Venetian Shores Beach - Babylon
- Cold Spring Harbor Beach Club Beach - Lloyd Harbor
- Bay Crest Association Beach - Huntington Bay
- Knollwood Beach Association Beach - Huntington
- Fleets Cove Beach - Huntington
- Wincoma Association Beach - Huntington Bay
- Valley Grove Beach - Eaton’s Neck
- Benjamin Beach - Bay Shore
Copiague Harbor Beach in Copiague remains closed to bathing due to high bacterial levels.
Beaches may reopen when samples results show the water quality to be within acceptable levels.
According to Commissioner of Health James Tomarken, MD, MPH, bathing in bacteria-contaminated water can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections of the eyes, ears, nose and throat.
For the latest information on affected beaches, call the Bathing Beach HOTLINE at 852-5822, contact the Department's Office of Ecology at 852-5760 during normal business hours, or visit the website at suffolkcountyny.gov/health.