Man Killed by LIRR Train at Mineola Station

Local News

A Man was struck and killed by a LIRR train Tuesday morning at the Mineola station.

MINEOLA -- A man was struck and killed by a LIRR train Tuesday morning at the Mineola station. George Hahn, 66, of Mineola, was hit at about 8:45 a.m. and was pronounced dead at the scene, said LIRR spokesman Salvatore Arena.

According to an MTA spokesperson, Hahn reportedly jumped from the westbound platform in front of a train and was killed instantly.

Police reported that Hahn was attempting to cross the tracks when he was struck.

Power to the tracks was shutdown to the westbound side following the incident; and the LIRR temporarily suspended service between Jamaica and Hicksville during the Tuesday morning rush hour commute while investigators were on the scene.

As of 10:30 a.m., the Ronkonkoma, Port Jefferson and Oyster Bay branches were operating at 10- to 15-minute delays westbound and 45-minute delays eastbound.

The incident was coupled with a derailment of an unoccupied train late Monday in Queens near Rego Park and Forest Hills, causing significant disruptions to railroad service.

The MTA reports that due to extensive track damage, there will be 11 canceled trains, 5 trains will be diverted from Penn to Atlantic Terminal and 4 others will only go as far as Jamaica. The details on these service adjustments are in the Service Status box on the MTA website.

In addition, repair to almost three-quarters of a mile of track is expected to take at least until Friday. Canceled and/or diverted trains for a.m. and p.m. peak commutes are also expected through Friday.

MTA police are continuing their investigation of the Hahn incident.

Add your comments below or on our Long Island Discussion Forum.

Photos

6 comments

Isidro Mar 20th, 2013 05:03 PM

This is awful. You always wonder if this will ever happen while you're waiting for the train. I feel so bad for the people who had to witness this.

John Mar 20th, 2013 05:12 PM

A lot of people say that they are going to jump in front of a train, but to actually do it? That must have been a horrific scene for those people that were there.

Manuel Esteban Mar 20th, 2013 09:49 PM

George Hahn was a great man and will be dearly missed. I have no idea why he would do this. Very unexpected.

Lisa Gilpin Mar 22nd, 2013 01:40 PM

George was a lovely man.  I had the privelage of ushering with George for years at our church in New York City.  I cannot imagine that this incident was intentional. George was not a selfish man.  I suspect he was terribly distracted and made a terrible mistake.  He will be missed by many who loved him dearly.

A Guy Mar 22nd, 2013 05:23 PM

I was there and saw it. It was hands down the most terrible thing I've ever seen in my life. I was coming from the parking garage on the other side of the tracks, got to the stairs to cross the breezeway and next thing I know its chaos. Something like that can never be unseen.

Whether or not he jumped or it was an accident no one will ever know.

I saw the memorial for him this morning at the station, which was very nice. He looked like a lovely happy man. My prayers are with his family.

LICommuter Apr 01st, 2013 11:33 AM

I was on that train, and we heard that he jumped from the middle of the platform. It was horrible! The conductor had the intercom open and was shaken up pretty bad! May he and his family find peace!

Add your comment...

Join Our Weekly Newsletter

Sign up for a free weekly newsletter covering things to do, hottest local headlines, and everything Long Island! Read more here or enter your email to signup.

Newsletter Archive