Commack Woman Wins $1 Million in Lottery

Local News

Maria Matthews Sanders wins $1 million from a scratch-off card bought at Stop & Shop in East Northport.

Maria Matthews Sanders of Commack won big from a scratch-off lottery card, announced the New York Lottery on Friday.

Sanders purchased the card on January 20 from a Stop & Shop in East Northport, where she was waiting for her order from the deli counter and decided to purchase the lottery card from an automatic machine while she waited.

Sanders was unable to get to the lottery customer service center in Garden City for two days, so she hid the winning ticket under her mattress for what she said were two restless nights.

The $1 million won by Sanders was the second place prize in the $5 million Multiplier scratch-off game.  She also shares the second place position with three other Long Islanders – three family members from Wantagh who won the $1 million prize on the same Multiplier game and turned it in on January 10.

The New York Lottery said that Sanders chose to receive her winnings in a lump sum of $661,800 after the necessary withholdings.

The Commack woman was among nine winners on Friday who all shared $13 million in the New York Lottery.

Photos

7 comments

Victoria Lindauer Feb 23rd, 2013 08:23 AM

Good for her! I also bought a Lottery ticket from the same store, but it wasn't a lucky one.

I had to laugh about the restless nights. Not laughing at her, but I could imagine myself in the same position.

Clara Feb 23rd, 2013 08:34 AM

This is pretty cool. I always love to hear of someone who wins the lottery. It is such a numbers game that you wonder if it will ever happen to you. I haven't won the big jackpot yet, but just winning $1,000 was quite a joy!

Delores McGee Feb 23rd, 2013 04:20 PM

I had a friend a few years ago that won in the tens of thousands of dollars. She took the lottery ticket and put it into a safe deposit box until she could get back to the place she bought it from. Of course, I have never won so I can't imagine the anxiety of losing it!

Harriett Feb 23rd, 2013 05:22 PM

Congratulations on the win! I have been trying for a few years and have only won a few dollars here and there. My friends tell me I am crazy. I am hoping to win someday so I can show them just how crazy I am while I buy my new house!

Pamela Feb 23rd, 2013 06:25 PM

That is pretty cool. I am glad that someone won the jackpot. Hopefully they will put the money to good use and not blow it.

Janet Feb 23rd, 2013 07:16 PM

I won the lottery a few years ago too! It was only $15,000 but it was pretty cool!

Ramon Feb 27th, 2013 10:48 AM

I would have felt pretty scared to with a winning lottery ticket in my house. I never would have told anyone and silently redeemed it.

Add your comment...

Join Our Weekly Newsletter

Sign up for a free weekly newsletter covering things to do, hottest local headlines, and everything Long Island! Read more here or enter your email to signup.

Newsletter Archive